Clorox wipes

Did a search, saw a couple people mention them, but no one saying yea or nay. Can you use Clorox wipes to clean the interior of the GF? They are amazing at cleaning soot and that brown sticky stuff that gets everywhere. If yea, are there any bits where you should not use them? I am guessing the lens/window/mirror bits still need Zeiss wipes, but can I use them on the lid? on the crumb tray? on the passthrough doors? fans?

I would not.

They contain chlorine, which is highly corrosive to electronics components.

5 Likes

I’ve been using Clorox wipes for 2 years, without issue (cleaning everything except lenses, circuit boards, and lights. I’m no expert but a Google search didn’t readily find results that said Clorox wipes contained chlorine. One of the results described:

“A note on Clorox Wipes : They do not contain chlorine bleach . Because of the brand name Clorox , many people assume that they are bleach -based, which they are not — the active ingredients are hexoxyethanol and isopropanol.”

Again…I’m no expert, and I’ve been using Clorox wipes for 2 years without issue. Use at your own discretion/risk. One or more of the GF forum members who are experts may be able to weigh in.

4 Likes

The ingredients in Clorox wipes are available:

Active ingredient: * 0.145% n-Alkyl (60% C14, 30% C16, 5% C12, 5% C18) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride, 0.145% n-Alkyl (68% C12, 32% C14) dimethyl ethylbenzyl ammonium chloride

Chlorides are also corrosive, so… probably not the best choice. But this is hardly my area of expertise.

3 Likes

You’re not asking for suggestions, but I use Sprayway glass cleaner on a cotton rag or microfiber cloth (sprayed onto the rag, not the machine). The only parts I clean are the lid, being careful to avoid the PCBs, the head, and the rails.

The optics are cleaned with Zeiss wipes.

4 Likes

I too use Clorox to clean all but electronics and glass. For the glass I use Windex and the optics and cable I use the Zeiss wipes. Depending on the gunk on the cables I may use a swab and alcohol. Then let air dry with the lid open for 15 minutes, never had any issues.

I will probably shy away from them. The only places I really find that nothing else works well on are the front door, with the passthrough slot, and the lip of the crumb tray. Those things always look like I dipped them in the La Brea tar pits. I’ll figure it out.

1 Like

That is the one place I wouldn’t hesitate to spray a cleaner on if I was so inclined. There’s nothing electrical in there. Open it so it lays flat and use scrubbing bubbles!! Wipe it over with a paper towel.

Mine, I have wiped over once. Probably just IPA on a paper towel.

3 Likes

When my door gets gummed up I use Mr. Clean wipes but Windex works well too. Another cleaner you can use on all but the electronics is Simple Green.

2 Likes

There definitely needs to be an “LOL” react for posts here. :rofl:

2 Likes

I use masking I pull off to cover the inside of the front door and replace it periodically just to save the scrubbing.

18 Likes

Vinegar and water. Non-toxic and cuts the film beautifully. I use it to wipe everything down except the circuit boards and it’s done fine for 3 years.

Whooooole lot less expensive too. Win-win. :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

That is a really good idea, I’m going to have to try that!

On a side note, I haven’t been able to find Clorox wipes in MONTHS (well, I stopped looking eventually), so I wouldn’t be using those even if I had some. I have used simple green spray, and it works well for everything except the glass. It’s really hard to get that streak free, so I got some of the Sprayway @eflyguy mentioned to try next time it needs a deep clean.

4 Likes

Now that is a great idea! I don’t leave the passthrough covers on, and my flap is yellow now. (Still works, just unsightly, and it’s stained so i can’t clean it.)

1 Like

Simple green is also a very good cleaner. Haven’t used it on the GF but have plenty on-hand!

1 Like

I’m with Jules.

Distilled white vinegar.

2 Likes

I use alcohol on a microfiber towel. Wipes are too expensive and not as sturdy as the towel, which gets super disgusting. Then I throw it in the wash and use it again. I only use lens cleaners for the laser bits, but I’ve been using alcohol pretty much because it’s what I have on hand to clean the resin from 3D prints.

I soooooooooo cannot handle the smell of vinegar…I don’t know if I associate that with sun burns as a child (she used vinegar on sun burns)…or what it is…don’t know how you can clean with that smell. :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

Same here! It makes me gag. Long time ago, boiling pickles, I had to leave the house…

1 Like

Mom grew, more or less - she’s not so good with plants, aloe for that. Snap off a stalk and rub the aloe on the sun burn. I’ve never heard of vinegar for sun burn. Maybe it was negative reinforcement with the unfortunate side effect of you having to live with streaky glass. :man_shrugging: