Coaster Tile Holder

Have you followed one of the awesome tutorials about how to turn a cheap Lowes 4.25" x 4.25" tile into a coaster? Did you engrave one with your laser, instead? Well, I hope you made a set of four, because I MADE YOU A HOLDER!

Materials:
4x premade tile coasters of the previously linked type
1x sheet of Lauan Plywood (also from Lowes)
1x Glowforge
1x Holder SVG

Settings:

Your plywood height should be 0.1955 inches or thereabouts. Mine varied in height between 0.1955 and 0.196 inches.

If you have a :glowforge: Basic, use this kerf-compensated cut file. It will be the most perfect of tight fits.
Tile Holder - Kerf Compensated.pdf (1.9 KB)
Tile%20Holder%20-%20Kerf%20Compensated

If you have a :glowforge: Plus or Pro, your full power is different than my full power, so your kerf is likely to be different. In your case, I can give you a kerf-uncompensated SVG and if you want to correct for kerf you are going to have to do some math. Or you can send me a Pro or Plus and I can figure it out for you. Whichever is cheapest :smiling_imp:.
Tile%20Holder%20-%20Kerf%20Uncompensated

It holds all four tiles VERY SNUGLY. This is intentional, and not a design flaw. It is so that your flatmate’s cat cannot knock them off the table and cause the tiles to hit the floor, shattering. Ask me how I know what to avoid :roll_eyes:.

40 Likes

Very cool looking holder design! Thanks for sharing it! :grinning:
(And yeah, I know cats.)

2 Likes

Nice and simple. Well done.

1 Like

Thanks for the share. My cat is entirely too lazy to knock anything this heavy off the table, but I appreciate the snug fit.

1 Like

Nice design. Easy enough to add a bit of height to account for felt bases if you add those to your tiles too.

4 Likes

Great design!

Now you just have to engrave the tiles with images of your flatmates cat as apology for having mean thoughts about the cat.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Nice holder … thank you so much for sharing your file!

1 Like

Simple elegance, thank you for the file.

0 Likes

Can’t imagine… :thinking:

0 Likes