Coffee Coasters

Hi there! Today I made a set of coffee coasters. I learned that my power was up too high for the engrave, and even though I measured and set the material height at a quarter inch, it still didn’t cut the cork clear through. Anyone else have issues like that?

18 Likes

Cork is more delicate, isn’t it though? so yeah lower power on the engrave, and, if you were cutting at FULL, then lower the speed of the cut by 5 or 10. Testing on scraps helps!

4 Likes

Cork is a pain in everyone’s ass to cut all the way through, but it is possible - some folks have managed it with one, I tend to go back and do a 2nd cut just in case

Mine lightened up quite a bit after I scrubbed them - so you might loose some of your smoke stain if you tried that

Nice coasters :slight_smile:

3 Likes

cork barely needs to be touched to go to a nice dark color.
You can sand it down to lighten it if you like. I sanded and stained this cork:

Which gave it a nice distressed antiqued look, I think. All depends on the look you’re going for, I actually like a dark bold engrave on cork, so I think your coasters are really nice.

As for cutting, yeah cork is inconsistent and argumentative…

4 Likes

Thanks for the tips!

I love your dice tray!! Thanks for the tips!

1 Like

Yes I have lots of trial and error. I suspect you get better at estimating the settings but I’m not there yet.

Cute coffee coaster artwork.

3 Likes