Colored Pencil on Copper

Here’s a fun project I just finished. I’ve recently become enamored with applying colored pencil to copper/metals to create a look similar to copper enamels. It turns out the process is pretty tricky and the workshops to learn how to do this are far away. So I did a lot of experimentation to get something I liked.

The cat head and the quilt are cut separately from sheet copper then sanded and treated with gesso to give it tooth. Colored pencils are applied in layers with fixative sprays in between layers. The eye holes were drilled and brass escutcheon pins are placed through the holes, with crimp beads between the layers, so the cat head sits up about 1/16" above the plane of the quilt.

The box was cut from PG cherry hardwood (medium), and the lid was engraved (default draft) to allow the copper piece to inset; glued in with E6000.

28 Likes

Now that is an interesting technique! Never seen anything like it! :grinning:
(Wouldn’t mind seeing it in person either, cause I’ll bet the photos don’t do it justice.)

4 Likes

Labor intensive but great result. I hope you will share more of this technique.

3 Likes

There’s a series of 5 videos describing one of the methods on Mary Karg’s channel:

6 Likes

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed your videos.

1 Like

Adorable! Love it!

3 Likes

You sure come up with some of the coolest ideas! I love it when you get to experimenting in different techniques.

2 Likes

You did a good job on this.

2 Likes

I took a workshop with her a year ago. It was awesome to learn it first hand from her. Genius once you learn it, have had a lot of fun with the process.

2 Likes

Cool! I’d love to see some of your work.

1 Like

11 Likes

Now you have me thinking about how I can use the Glowforge with this method. I teach HS art and my students do the colored pencil method. We will have to brainstorm some display options now with using the glowforge.

3 Likes

Oh, your work is gorgeous! Now you have me itching to grab my colored pencils again.

Here is an example of something I did recently that incorporates a colored pencil tile into a wooden item, maybe you could do something similar:

4 Likes

This is really fun. Thanks for sharing it.

Such beautiful shading on the bird! I love that about colored pencils: the more you layer them the richer the colors get. It looks like you’re also working with a rolling mill, or metal clay. It makes a great combination with the velvety look of the bird’s body and the texture of the wing. The leaves are also beautiful, I just happen to have a thing for birds…

1 Like

I do not have a rolling mill. We actually just bought patterned brass sheets so it comes pre-rolled. I also have a bird “problem”. Such a beautiful subject matter for many types of mediums.

2 Likes