Comic Glowforge Cover

I had a lot of remnant fabric from my boat projects and so I decided to take my first attempt at making a cover for my glowforge with it. Note that I was just using scrap fabric and so I didn’t realize until after that it looks like a DC comic character.

So I got out my handy Sailrite Ultrafeed and hot knife and went at it:

I looked over the other dust covers I saw in the community but I was wanting one that I would not have to find a place for when I take it off. So I designed a segmented one that has a flap on the lid section so that the top stays attached…for the most part. Obviously I will want to be able to see through the glass lid whenever I print and so having a flap that just folds back and clears the lid worked perfect for me.

I then wanted a way to hold the cover in place a bit and so I used clips and screwed the straps into the underside of my $8 IKEA table top. I also put an additional clip on the wall so that I can clip the flap up if I choose.

I do plan to add onto this top with some IoT. I have a lot of conductive wire and sewables around that I think will add some nice effects.

37 Likes

Very cool!

One thing to beware of… make sure your cover isn’t blocking any air intake while you’re using the laser. From the best I can tell I don’t think yours will be a problem, since I think most air intake is along the bottom, and it looks like there’s enough of a gap there.

Nice work :smiley:

8 Likes

I LOVE the comical covers!

5 Likes

I love the look of your sewing machine and what it produces. You have many skills and a sense of humor. Good combo.

4 Likes

You have no idea the testing I did to verify that one…lol I think more often then not I look crazy but am really just curious.

Yes, the intake is avoided but I do think its important that anyone looking to make their own style design realize the key aspect of that one. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks!

I love the look of old school bombers and I felt like the Sailrite looked like an angler fish with the light. The vinyl on it is glow in the dark. It always makes me laugh:

11 Likes

Thanks! My remnant bucket is a ton of different color fabrics. I was still struggling to learn sailing and so I actually color coded everything for the stuff I made for our boat. Which meant there were tons of leftovers and my color code only has significance to me…at this point.

I might have fun making some comic type items out of these leftovers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Seeing your Sailrite makes me want to decorate my wife’s longarm.

1 Like

What machine does she have?!?!?

I have wanted a longarm for a longgggg time now.

2 Likes

She has a Handi Quilter Avante 18 with a Pro Stitcher.

2 Likes

This is brilliant, I’m full of admiration, I would love to be able to sew. Someday I will give it a go!

3 Likes

Your sewing of a cover for your Glowforge, perhaps your Glowforge could return the favor :grin: If you look into yellowheart wood, it glows amazingly in UV light, there might be inspiration :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I will have to look into that one! I was wanting the Sailrite leatherwork (which is a longarm) but I wanted it because the slowing down of the machine is key. I did notice they just put out a new line of untrafeeds that have a servo that offers a more controllable speed and I want that but those are not longarm :frowning:

Shazaam! That is nice cover!

2 Likes

Love it!!

2 Likes

You should! I really enjoy all the math that goes into designing. Its nice to be able to vision something and then create it.

4 Likes

The colors are really beautiful, totally brightening up a room!

Btw. I assume you know of …
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sailcut/files/latest/download

1 Like

That is totally awesome!

1 Like

I have not looked at that! I will check it out! I love the idea of sail design. I always wanted to study Aerospace because my favorite, and still favorite, principle is Bernoulli. The school I ended up going to did not have Aerospace and so I missed out on learning all the aspects that I am sure would feed into sail design.

I think its so cool how to design the placement of seams to best handle the likely force at the specific spot on the fabric.

1 Like

I agree with you about the vision, I’m not very mathematically minded but sure I could get my head around basic stuff at least to start.

1 Like