Compact Filter Cartridge Life

Greetings GF,
I have been working to support COVID-19 first responders across the country with earsavers. I have probably created around 100-200ea so far.

The problem is that the new filter Cartridge I installed before beginning to create the earsavers already has to be replaced. The filter fan speed is on max speed and the unit beeps when I turn it off.

Is there anything I can do to prolong the life of the filter or is it done?

Thanks,
Adrian Lawler

1 Like

@aklawler2. Thanks for sharing. I’ve made about 60 ear savers myself so far. Haven’t had any issues with the filter yet. Will reach out with learnings.

I don’t use a filter, but according to the math, the ~2000 I’ve printed so far would have used about 10% of the filter life.

1 Like

Great point @eflyguy.

@aklawler2 Here are the official test cut/print numbers from Glowforge: https://glowforge.com/faq/tech-specs#what-is-the-estimated-lifespan-of-the-filter-cartridge

1 Like

Took a look back at the glowforge filter manual. It talks about running the filter for an hour after a 30 minute print/cut as a way to help extend the filters life.

So might be worth leaving your filter run for a while and see if that help get more life out of it.

Manual: https://assets.ctfassets.net/ljtyf78xujn2/2e9vJBSFWMEjCJy2jUbv5j/09751300137d0c56bd16168e162cf2fc/Glowforge_Air_Filter_User_Manual_v._0.9.pdf

Actually on page 16 it says to run it for a minute after the cut for every minute you cut. So after a 30 minute cut you’d leave it on for another 30 minutes.

This allows the filter to pull any fine particles deeper into the filter so it’s not just loading up the topmost portion of the media.

1 Like

Thanks! I will give this a try. The filter has less than 5 hours use so I hope this works.

No worries. Let me know how you make out.

Hi @aklawler2,

I’m sorry to hear your filter cartridge is full. As @ashley and @jamesdhatch pointed out, we recommend running your filter after your print has completed to prolong the life of the cartridge.

Running air through your Glowforge Air Filter will prolong the life of the cartridge. For best
results, leave it running one minute for each minute that you print. For example, when you finish
two 30-minute prints, leave it running for an hour after they finish.

I see you’ve written to us directly over email, so I’m going to close this thread.