Comparison of PG Engrave Settings

One of my cousins sent me this cute photo of my newlywed grandparents:

I’m still not confident about what to do to photos to make them better engraving candidates; it all makes sense when I read what other people have done, but faced with my own photos, I remain clueless. Nevertheless, I decided to forge ahead anyway, 'cause that’s what I do.

I’ve only gotten as far as doing some testing of the engrave settings, but I thought I’d share them. The material is PG medium maple hardwood, and the images are all engraved with standard PG settings–the only thing I did was switch between “convert to dots” and “vary power” to test both options for each setting. Asterisks indicate the defaults.

I’m puzzled by a couple of things. One is how much better the draft and SD settings look than the HD settings. Another is why SD Graphic defaults to “vary power,” while HD Graphic defaults to “convert to dots.” And yet another is how the SD graphic convert to dots setting came out so different than the rest.

Anyway, I thought I’d share, in case others are interested.

36 Likes

You are doing exactly the right thing. Experimenting! You might also want to play around in a photo editing program or two. Maybe experiment with different shapes and sizes of dots for dithering.

4 Likes

I always use the SD Engrave, so I’m glad to see that it really is the better option :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Is that after cleaning up with a little rubbing alcohol and a brush? I find that helps with bringing out more detail.

2 Likes

No, that’s straight out of the GF. I didn’t think there was really much residue, but that’s a good thought; I’ll give it a try and see.

Thanks for taking the time to post this, this is super helpful!

2 Likes

SD graphics gives the best output but this photo deserves tile

3 Likes

What a great shot! They look JUST like my grandparents. I agree, it’s begging for tile! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Hey! That must be why you and I look so much alike! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ll have to hunt down some bigger tile, I guess. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Awesome photo for your tests … Appreciate your post!

2 Likes