Grandparents Photo on PG Maple Hardwood

I did an engraving of the photo of my (and @timjedwards’) grandparents that I used for testing settings a few days ago. I liked the SD engrave settings best, but was torn between the 3D look of the “vary power” option and the nice dark engrave of the “convert to dots” option. So I decided to combine them.

This was done on PG medium maple hardwood, the same as in the settings tests I ran. I first ran it using the SD graphic setting with vary power selected. That looked really nice, but light. (I was stupid and didn’t grab a photo at this stage, sorry!) Then I doubled the focus height and changed it to “convert to dots” (still SD graphic), and ran it again. I’m really happy with how it came out – best of both worlds!

50 Likes

Looks good! :grinning:

2 Likes

Here it is with a light shining down parallel to the wood, so you can see the 3D-ness of the “vary power” engrave:

16 Likes

Yeah, I really like that combined effect. I did something similar with the 3D engraving a couple months back…multiple passes to turn it into a more sculptural thing…but most of the work for that happened in Photoshop. (I need to get a base that will work and finish that project…I think it will look pretty sharp lit up. With everything going on, I haven’t had time to finish it.) :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

What was the reasoning for changing the focus height on the second run? Fantastic results! I always like seeing these photos in wood, and the age of this one shows through really well on wood :+1:t4:

2 Likes

Nice trick to defocus one of the passes—not something I would have thought of. I really like the overall result!

2 Likes

That’s a really great result! Lots of nice detail.

3 Likes

That really worked well! I agree with Raymond, something about the era of the image that somehow fits the material perfectly.:wink:
I presume no masking?

1 Like

Great idea. Now I have to try this! Was there a specific reason for doubling the focus height, or were you just trying to de-focus a bit on the second pass?

1 Like

This really turned out beautifully…such fine detail and just the right amount of highlights and shadows.

3 Likes

I was hoping to soften the “dots” a little bit. I can’t really tell whether it made a difference; my eye isn’t that refined!

Correct.

Exactly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great photo … and you did a fantastic job!

2 Likes