Completely frustrated and discouraged

ah ha! Didn’t consider that at the time and didn’t know what to fix . But thank you .

1 Like

Thank you so so much .

1 Like

All of you guys helped so much and I feel better ! Im about to get Inkscape and try again today .

5 Likes

I’m a big Inkscape fan, but there are people who like illustrator, and Corel and a bunch of others. It often comes down to what you already know or what just clicks for you.

I liked the price on Inkscape and didn’t find it totally baffling like some people, so it works for me. That may be because I wasn’t already steeped in illustrator or something, so I didn’t have a lot of ideas about how things “should” be.

1 Like

I use Affinity Designer on a Mac (available in the app store…and also for Windows), but many here in the forum use Adobe Illustrator and Inkscape, to name just a few. Of course, I highly recommend AD, but Inkscape is a big favorite among many.

From your screenshot it looks like you use a Mac? It is my understanding getting Inkscape to work on a Mac can also be frustrating. I use Inkscape on Windows with no major issues, but that is what I have heard.

Affinity Designer works on Mac as Xabbess can attest. Adobe Illustrator is probably the most powerful vector editor, but it is also the most expensive and most complicated imo.

1 Like

You are correct…I tried Inkscape in the beginning but it just didn’t ‘feel right’ to me…not user friendly in my opinion. At $50 and no subscription fees for Affinity, the price was right.

1 Like

cakes…these people will not leave you hanging!!! you can get on here at 8am…and get a response. you can get on her during rush hour…and these people have you covered. You can get on here at 3;32 am…and guess what! Yup, they got you! I just got mine too. And I have cried tears! I don’t have very much free time, not likeI did when I first got it, at least. And they bare willing to help. I really wished Would have known that in the first week, but hey I am working on arranging some free time now. I have three girls. And they are WILD! but they will help! I promise! I hope you get it faster than I have. But I could barely even work a computer a week ago. But I have been a busy little bee. I am sorry you are frustrated! I have felt your pain! But, I do feel better that I am not the only newbie! But If you don’t know anything about Inkscape or how to get stuff from port a to point B I just found my life saving video that made a light bulb go off. I was so confused on vector, raster, cut, path, line, all that shenanigans…to the point of tears. And I finally had that lightbulb moment…I will leave it here… https://youtu.be/fCw5lE_vbbc
I get to get back on my machine tomorrow and hopefully will have success!
GOODLUCK!!!

5 Likes

@rbtdanforth …what training guide are you speaking of? the first cuts? because I never found any training guides. A huge problem I have with communication with GF staff is emails. My hubby obviously has the email that we purchased the machine under. and it is a business account with a million a day coming in. so if they sent any advice…I probably never found it.

yup!!! @cakes THATS ME!!! Lol! And byname is not Matthew! Lol. oh yeah, and yes inkscape is free!! and yes… my dramatic “a” double “s” went and signed up with every single one I could find trying to find a quick fix. There is NO QUICK FIX. Just know that this may take more time then you expected…but not as much as most. I know some people with other lasers still untouched. Don’t give up. I refuse!! also… I had and still do have a huge prob with Inkscape working on a brand new Mac… I have not found a solution to that, but I have also heard some say they have no issues at all!!! And I am not a computer genius. Hell, I can barely work this thing!..maybe I should start a forum!! because some out there has to know the answer! And if they own one of these babies, then they are gonna be helpful!

1 Like

This has everything from the basic Machine setup and safety, to a basic understanding of the major programs folks use.

1 Like

This is exactly what I have heard many times. Some people get Inkscape running on a Mac with no problems and other people spend hours and hours just trying to get it working. If you run into problem after problem, $50 for Affinity Designer doesn’t seem like such a bad deal.

2 Likes

This forum is absolutely the best accessory for your glowforge. :+1:

12 Likes

Ok… check✅… been there done that. Just making sure I wasn’t missing something

1 Like

Yeah… fifty bucks ain’t bad at all. I would much rather pay that and not have issues.

2 Likes

That’s what I did 2 years ago and haven’t looked back.

IMO, the most common problem getting Inkscape running on a mac is getting the XQuartz settings right.

1 Like

This is the place you will learn. The search button in these forums is your best friend when you are first starting out - I bet just about everything you run into someone has and has posted about it.

Learning Inkscape or some other form of vector based graphic design will be your best friend and biggest opportunity to invest in the knowledge you’ll need to make some truly awesome stuff, so take the time and invest in learning the app. I’ve spent 28+ years on CAD so at least I have that but I’m also learning Inkscape for the stuff I can’t do in CAD.

Yes it CAN be hard - but this forum is your best friend. The people here are AMAZING.

3 Likes

I also had 30ish years in Autocad but smooth curved “Squishy stuff” was always a problem, and that is Inkscape’s strong point.

1 Like

@cakes? hows it going?

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.