Condensation in Glowforge

My glowforge has condenstaion. I dried it as much as I could but when will it be safe to use it again and how can i prevent it from happening again?
I am located in Gulfport, MS so i see humitidy will be a problem

Are you using it indoors or outdoors? what’s the relative humidity?

Do you keep the vent hose attached to the outdoors while it is not in use?

1 Like

Assuming you are venting outdoors, it needs to be closed off unless you have positive airflow. In other words, while the exhaust fan is running (during a print), or with an inline duct fan.

Natural airflow through a home will draw air in through any opening, and if you have your duct permanently attached, it is a major “hole” for air to enter when not running.

2 Likes

We live on the gulf coast so humidity is horrible. So i just need to disconnect hose from the outside vent when not in use?

1 Like

You can also look at “blast gates” to close it off. There are several designs to make your own right here on the forum.

4 Likes

Awesome, thank you ! How soon will i be able to use it. I left it off overnight and made sure all was dry. I turned it on but Ive not used it yet

1 Like

i[quote=“cabhp99, post:4, topic:65752”]
We live on the gulf coast so humidity is horrible.
[/quote]

I am in Tampa (that was so humid they could make cigars before air conditioning) I have a Vivosun 4" inline fan that runs 24/7 but the exhaust port also has a one-way flapper-doodle that would block air coming in anyway. and never a condensation issue except all the wood vapors that condense everywhere :cry:

2 Likes

I live in DC, which is no Tampa but was built on a swamp. I have a similar set up. I keep an inline fan running at all times with the one-way flaps and have never had an issue with backdraft.

Links to the products that make it up:

One more component: I also have a magnetic coupling in the mix, so if I ever do need to fully disconnect the line, I can do so easily.
3 Likes

100 CFM is pretty weak. Even the 190 CFM of the $35 Vivosun is too weak when cutting smokey woods, but I can leave the internal exhaust fan off for most other stuff.

1 Like

That’s fair, I’ve been meaning to upgrade. I guess I should say that I’ve never had condensation or backdraft issues, but it doesn’t fully exhaust while cutting.

3 Likes

Yeas, with the airflow through the machine rated around 200 CFM, that fan presents an obstruction.
I use a booster rated at 190 and it works well for me, although both the exhaust fan and the fan grill are removed.

1 Like

I just moved from the Gulfport area, and any time I left my vent open to the outside, I’d have condensation in the GF. Keeping the vent closed when not in use solved the problem

1 Like

Well if you turned it on and the magic smoke didn’t escape… You are probably ok to use it. :smiley:

3 Likes