Connecting to enterprise network...almost

I’m attempting to connect to the enterprise network of my school. But have been unsuccessful in attempting to do so. I feel like I might not have up-to-date firmware. Could someone please let me know if my firmware is up-to-date?

I have successfully printed “a gift of good measure” using my phone as a hotspot.

Thanks in advance for all help and advice!!!

Not sure if you have seen this:

If you connect via your phone’s hotspot and the unit calibrates then you will know the firmware is updated.

2 Likes

I think you mentioned in another thread that it wasn’t seeing the network?

Can you confirm with another device that the network strength is ok for where the Glowforge is?

And do you know if the enterprise network is 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz? The Glowforge won’t recognize a 5Ghz network.

I’ve seen the "Connecting to Enterprise Wi-Fi (beta) and the signal strength is good. I’ll have to check the network to see if we’re running 2.4 or 5 Ghz tomorrow. I can see our open unsecure public network that requires signing into a webpage (which from what I read won’t work with Glowforge).

Okay, so that’s the issue. We’re running a 5GHz enterprise network. I can see the unsecured public network because it is 2.4Ghz, but I can’t get on it because you have to sign in on a webpage.

Does the Glowforge have the ability to get onto a 5GHz network in the future with a firmware update or is the hardware missing from the machine to do this? It sounds like I might be running my Glowforge off my phone’s hotspot for the forseeable future.

yeah glowforge cheaped out like a lot of consumer devices and only bought a hardware solution with 2.4GHz support. 5 and a physical ethernet port would have solved so many problems.

No. It’s 2.4 only.

I imagine they selected 2.4Ghz because it’s more reliable over longer distances, and the GF doesn’t need the speed of 5Ghz. It would be nice to have the option though.

Your administrators should be able to setup an exception based on the MAC address of the GF in order to allow you to bypass the signin page.

1 Like

And through walls. Common issues in homes :slightly_smiling_face:

True. I have multiple repeaters in my home to cover everything because of distance and walls, and one that I can put out in the backyard in the summer.

Great idea! I’ll see if they’ll do this for me!

There goes my quota for great ideas for the rest of the year… :wink:

4 Likes

But this one was for an educational institution so it doesn’t count against your quota. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

That’s probably why my wife (the academic) never gives me credit for my ideas.

3 Likes

Thanks, everyone, for the help. @edward.coyle, it sounds like you’re good to go, so I’m going to close this thread. I just wanted to leave you with the steps to find the MAC address of your Glowforge, in case you need them:

1. Reboot your Glowforge.

2. Wait at least 30 seconds, or until the Printer Head stops moving.

3. Open your browser and go to setup.glowforge.com.

4. Open the Javascript Console (in Chrome, this can be found under View > Developer > Javascript Console. In Firefox, it is found under Tools > Web Developer > Web Console).

5. Follow the Wi-Fi Setup steps until you are connected to the Glowforge Wi-Fi access point. The page will say “Connect Your Glowforge to Wi-Fi”.

6. In the Console, paste the following code:

fetch('http://192.168.192.1:3000/setup/connection_status').then((response) => { return response.json() }).then((data) => {console.log(data.address)})

1. This should return a bit of code that looks something like the following:

Promise {<pending>, nr@context: r}

a1:b2:c3:d4:ee:f5

Here’s how it looks in the Javascript Console on Google Chrome:

The second line in this response, a1:b2:c3:d4:ee:f5, is the MAC address.

1. Exit the webpage, reconnect to your usual Wi-Fi network, and reboot your Glowforge.

If you run into any other trouble, please start a new thread. Alternatively, you can email us at support@glowforge.com instead. Happy printing!

4 Likes