Connecting to wifi and not hotspot

Hey, I was told by Glowforge to connect to my hotspot to connect my 2nd laser at setup after it wouldn’t connect to my wifi And it worked. Problem is now i can only connect to my hotspot to get it to connect. I have another glowforge right next to it connecting to the wifi just fine so I know it’s not the wifi. They now told me to factory reset to connect to the wifi but that’s getting me back to same problem I had when they told me to use a hotspot. Any suggestions? Ty

GF configures its WiFi for the SSID of the network it’s connected to at setup. So if you set it up with a Hotspot, it’s only ever going to look for that SSID and it will ignore your WiFi. But you might be able to spoof the setup.

1. Turn off your WiFi.
  2. Change your Hotspot SSID and access password to the same as your WiFi.
  3. Go through the GF setup again with the Hotspot as the access point.
  4. Turn off the Hotspot and turn on the WiFi.

GF should connect to the WiFi as if it was connecting to the Hotspot. It shouldn’t be able to tell the difference. Then, go back and change your Hotspot SSID and password back to whatever it was before…

I use this trick all the time with my home automation stuff. A lot of it will only work on a 2.4GHz WiFi network, but my network is 5.8 and 2.4, which makes it impossible to configure these devices. I have a separate 2.4GHz only access point with the same SSID and WPA2 password as my real network. I shut off my real network, turn on the alternate, configure the device, then I shut the alternate off and turn on the primary network again. The devices happily connect to the 2.4 band now they’ve been configured. They don’t know it’s a completely different access point they’re connecting to. And I have the same SSID and WPA2 passwords for my router in my house up here in the northeast and down in Florida. So all my computer stuff and phone connect the same no matter which house I’m in.

I see you already emailed us about this on a direct ticket and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.