Connection problems to WiFi

I got a new modem to upgrade my internet speed. Everything in the house easily connected to the new network (iPhone, iPad, Chromecast, printers, desk-top, laptop, etc.) except the Glowforge. I have followed the instruction for hook-up to the letter (the password in correct, it is a 2.4GHz network, all security features are turned off, and I am 8 feet away from the modem). After two days of troubleshooting with the Glowforge support team, they want me to return the laser for a replacement. I find it hard to believe that at the instant I installed the new modem, the WiFi assembly on the Glowforge died. Any ideas?

1 Like

Have you tried using your phone as a hotspot ?

5 Likes

You are my hero! It worked!

1 Like

Well that rules out the machine’s wifi. There is something with your new router that is causing the issue. It doesn’t fix your problem, but it certainly shows that you don’t have to send the machine to Glowforge for a replacement. Now, to fix the wifi connectivity…

8 Likes

I managed to fix that on my own. I’m back in business… Many thanks for your help.

Tina MacDonald

5 Likes

It’s really disappointing that GF Support couldn’t figure that out. The “can you use your phone’s hotspot” test is one of the first to try. That they didn’t do that and decided a new machine was required says something about the support troubleshooting - and it’s not a good thing it’s saying.

4 Likes

I agree to some extent, but using your phone as a hotspot is one of the troubleshooting steps on the support site, which I think they would assume owners have worked thru before opening a ticket.

2 Likes

Well, they told me to do the same things many times, even though they didn’t work. And I hadn’t noticed the phone hot-spot test, so am delighted you guys found it and reminded me. Saved me a lot of money and bother. The silly thing is, even if I got a replacement machine, chances are it still wouldn’t have hooked up to the Wi-Fi once it arrived. Thanks again, to all of you who have pitched in to help. Tina MacDonald

1 Like

Support shouldn’t assume anyone has done any of the documented troubleshooting steps. It’s not human nature to read directions or follow them even if read. We’ve seen that here thousands of times over the past 7 years. Not every user is technically inclined - and GF does its part to pretend there’s no complexity to the machine and its use with its advertising.

3 Likes

THIS !

4 Likes

No argument here.

The GF is marketed towards non-technical users. Their support system is not.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.