Connects, but won't STAY connected to WI-FI

Thanks, Vee. How do we try creating a dedicated access point as you mentioned above?

As to the Hotspot connecting, yes that works…connects and reconnects automatically. Obviously we can’t continue running off a hotspot though, but it sounds like this was just a test for info. What does it tell you, and where do we go from here?

If the GF connects to your phone hotspot automatically, as it should with any WiFi, the problem is with your WiFi. You may have a problem with your router or WiFi access point that is kicking the GF off the connection. The causes of this are many and varied and it will be difficult to isolate it. The problem has been narrowed down to not being the Glowforge itself though, which means Support may not be able to give you much additional information.

Thanks for following up with those results! The process for setting up a dedicated access point will vary based on your network environment and hardware. If the hotspot performed consistently reliably, it tells me that the issue is likely network-related, as @ben1 mentioned. However, I’d like to take a closer look based on what you’ve described in this thread. Recently, I’ve seen a few other reports of similar behavior (needing to rerun Wi-Fi setup to reconnect each time) that doesn’t sound like a typical unstable connection, so if possible, could you do the following for me?

1. Reboot your Glowforge and wait about 30 seconds
  2. Hold down the button on your Glowforge for ten seconds, until it glows with a teal color
  3. Your Glowforge is now broadcasting a temporary Wi-Fi access point. Connect your computer to “Glowforge XXX-XXX” (from your Wi-Fi Settings)
  4. Visit the following URL in your browser: http://192.168.192.1:3000/logs/zip
  5. A .zip file should download to your computer
  6. Reconnect to your usual Wi-Fi network and email the .zip file to support@glowforge.com

Please let me know if you run into any difficulty with these steps. Thanks!

You may need to relocate your machine relative to the wifi router, or possibly the router with respect to the machine.

Another solution might be to install a wifi signal extender, but I would hold off on that until you’ve provided the requested logs and heard back from support.

Just did that - sending it now. Thanks, Vee!

Thanks for sending those logs over, Amy. I want you to know we’re looking into this on this on our end. I apologize for the trouble, and I’ll update this thread just as soon as I have more details.

Thank you, Vee!

Hello again, and thanks for your patience! We just finished up some maintenance that should take care of this. Could you please refresh your browser if you’re still running into the “Offline” message, and let me know if the trouble clears up?

Yes, Vee - that did it! Thank you!!

1 Like

That’s excellent news! Again, I’m sorry for the trouble with this, but thanks for helping us out - the information you provided helped a lot in getting to the bottom of the issue!

If you run into any other trouble, please don’t hesitate to reach out.