Considering a 3D printer

Chuckle! That’s probably the job I had to turn down. (No, haven’t tried that blend yet.) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh yeah @markevans36301, @jules, @ben1 - I’m not saying I’m never getting one. I’m just going to wait a bit while I get comfortable with my new Cameo and the impending GF and the other things I’m pursuing like Arduino.

8 Likes

A hanger hanger?

1 Like

Yep! Keeps them from getting all tangled up when spread out on a rod. :relaxed:

2 Likes

Hey @smcgathyfay any updates on what you got and how you like it?
We are leaning toward a Prusa. My husband is transitioning from the interested stage to the shopping stage in his emotional progression.

4 Likes

Havent gotten it yet…been really busy with other projects but ptetty sure I’m going with the Prusa A8. Thats what my daughter and son in law have and they like it.

10 Likes

I don’t have too much basis of comparison, but I have a friend who just got the i3 MK2 a few weeks ago. Compared to my failed 3D printing experiences a few years ago, he’s had very few failures and the prints have a great resolution, even on the mid-level settings. After watching his experience, it’s making me itch for something, too.

2 Likes

I had settled on a Prusa i3 MK2 but then had the opportunity to buy @markevans36301’s Lulzbot Mini which is considered one of the easiest to use/least fiddling required 3D printers. I have made five prints so far and only the first attempt didn’t come out as expected.

8 Likes

I finally assembled my A8. Took me about 4 or 5 hours going slowly, and really enjoyed the process. My first 3 attempts failed because the table where I was working isn’t flat (d’oh!) and the heatbed was leveled too low.

Now it prints pretty well (considering that I have 0 experience). By now I’ve made just test prints, I’ll post some pics later.

11 Likes

I just received my last Friday. I spent the weekend putting it together and testing it. Now I’m hoping to start printing stuff with it. Looks like good quality and there are a ton of upgrades on Thingiverse for them.

2 Likes

Pretty in pink

Still rocking the eSun PLA+ in my UM2+… This device is headed to a young lady in the UK later this week.

34 Likes

Rocking the recipient’s world too man! :+1:

10 Likes

Nice job :thumbsup:

Your commitment to helping others is beyond just helping.

8 Likes

Thats so cool!! You are a hero!

7 Likes

I’d love to do that in this side of the planet, but maybe the A8 is not the tool.

BTW, this is what I’ve made on it

First a couple of failed prints, and then they went better.

This is a Genji shuriken from Overwatch (really half of it). Needs more fine-tuning but I’m really happy with my printer.

21 Likes

The A8 has a 220x220 bed, right? My UM2 is only 203x203, so it should be fine.

If you’re interested, PM me. :wink:

3 Likes

This is probably my best place for answers.

I thinking about getting a 3d printer, just saw the monoprice delta page go up. I figured I would opt for the October delivery, which should give me enough time with the glowforge. So is this a good delta printer? What are the things that I good and bad about this one?

1 Like

Monoprice tends to build (have built) OK stuff, and deltas are fun to watch. Just be aware that 120mm is not a very big build size, so this could be a gateway drug.

1 Like

I have a Monoprice select mini, 2 Wanhao i3’s and a Prusa i3 mk2s. Buying your first printer will be a gateway drug like @paulw said. I’m now selling most of what I print, so it’s nice. But I got addicted quickly. The Monoprice Delta looks fun. I’ll probably buy it for my desk at work, just in case I’m inspired to design something. :slight_smile:

I’m still waiting to see the new small SLA printer they showed at CES. The release date at that time was April.