Contact cement does not play. Got any glue mishaps?

Somehow the contact cement got some on its threads last time I used it, because I had to but out a huge set of pliers to open the container today. It’s like rubber cement on steroids.

Then, while gluing leather to wood, I glued my fingers to the wood pretty thoroughly. Still working on cleaning it up.

Anyone got any glue disasters to share? I need to know I’m not the only one.

12 Likes

Rapidfuse fuses rapidly. Leave it at that. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

14 Likes

If you can screw it up with CA I’ve done it, up to and including fire.

14 Likes

Perfect fingerprint (with genuine DNA) bonded to a hobby mat with CA.

12 Likes

Aren’t we going to hear about the glitter incident? Or did it not involve glue…

9 Likes

Am I the only person who is careful enough with glue to have never glued myself to something?

5 Likes

Let me also say that it’s called hot glue for a reason.

7 Likes

Wasn’t that embossing powder, or was there a glitter incident as well?

5 Likes

No good glue mishaps, but silicone…

At the job I worked in high school they said, here make some of these. These were two transistors you soldered together and then soldered two wires to them. When that was done you put the transistor assembly into a little yellow tube and squeezed some silicone into it from a tube. Easy enough. One of the silicone tubes was being extremely difficult, but that just meant it needed more pressure. After I don’t remember how many of these things suddenly the tube went flat. The back end had burst open and the center of my sweatshirt was covered in a giant glob of silicone. Wipe it off. From that day forward I had a waterproof shield in the center of that sweatshirt. No amount of washing could damage it.

7 Likes

ROFL…I’d forgotten about that one… :smile:
(I think some of it eventually wound up in the glue I was trying to mix it into…)

2 Likes

Probably. But I clearly recall when you set up your Glowforge and showed a picture of its new space, apologizing for the mess. All evidence since that time has indicated that you not a common man. This is no insult… and if I would believe it of anybody it would be you. You’re tidy, careful, organized, and evidently careful with glue.

6 Likes

When you work with CA (and I have for 20 years or so), it only takes one “incident” to ensure you keep acetone within reach at all times. In later years, little glue “caddies” became commonplace in hobby workshops, and a spot for acetone was always included…

6 Likes

Quite possibly. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Hahaha! Yes, I have left a few DNA markers around. It wasn’t apparent until I tried to let go of the item…
Thanks for the laugh!

6 Likes

Oh. I have lots of horror stories. Sticking my fingers together with hot glue was my unhappiest. I’m much better at using it, now.

4 Likes

Is it still an accident if you use the ca to glue a cut?

4 Likes

If what you are implying is that I am insufferably fussy, you are entirely correct.

7 Likes

That is why it was invented.

1 Like

We suffer you just fine :wink:

5 Likes

No implication of fussy intended.

Fastidious is a nice word. Careful.

Some might call me stubborn or mulish or worse. Personally I like steadfast and persistent.

6 Likes