Convert STL to SVG With TinkerCAD

I see… thanks for the insight.

1 Like

In case there is anyone still stumped on signing up. =)

1 Like

Finally tried this out… soooo simple! THANK YOU @geek2nurse !

2 Likes

I have a complex .STL that I imported into TinkerCAD and it looks like this

I brought it from MODO and exported as .STL for 3D printing. Doesn’t .STL stand for stereolithography?

How are you guys using 3D models to export into TinkerCAD to export as SVG? I click on export in TCAD and it exports my SVG and looks like this in Affinity Designer:

It cuts the model in half.

I don’t know what I’m doing. I’m trying slice a 3D model into parts I can put together as puzzles.

I can use slicing tools in MODO to slice the model into thicknesses I can cut through but one problem I have is I cannot cut through .50 or even .25 of inch wood. So I would have to cut my model into thicknesses of .125 which could get out of hand real quick.

When i say .25 I mean plywood. I haven’t tried cutting other types of wood. I was able to get some scrap wood from the local college.

You should be able to cut through 0.25" materials. What kind of wood are you using?

I just wanted a cross-section of my shape, but this would also work with layers. I don’t see how you can get around using layers the thickness of your material, though, unless you just make your model really small.

See if this tutorial sheds any light for you: A Cardboard Castle using Free Tools =)

2 Likes

Whoa, this is awesome! Thank you!

1 Like

I was thinking about it in another way also. I was wondering if GF could add a pen tool to the app.glowforge.com and I could make a two circles as end pieces with nails through them like old pinewood derby cars and put my wood in the middle. Then rotate my wood and cut, stroke, or engrave from the pen tool as I rotate the circles on the spindle made from some cuts onto the thickness of the wood.

1 Like

So it would be like a lathe but using GF to make cuts as I manually rotate the wood.

Excellent idea for a jig. I think it would work great for Engraving pens and other items of like size. It would also work great for miter cuts.
I just don’t think it would work well for three plus one CNC work simply because it’s just so darn hard to get consistent depths with a laser. Please, please prove me wrong though.

What does this mean?

In the YouTube video you sent, I like the process but the YouTuber created his model within TCAD. I already built my model in Modo. In his video he has steps that allow him to export layers of a thickness he is cutting out on GF.

With STL’s OBJ’s and SVGs it doesn’t allow me to have steps to be able to export those layers. How are you getting those layers?

I notice we are doing two different kinds of things. Your intricate design above doesn’t show what you took into TCAD and exported into the SVG you showed.

I assumed like @aggrokulture had asked about

that something was brought into TCAD to export what you have in nodes as an SVG.

The video you shared about the 3D Castle built in TCAD, does represent how to export those step layers into SVG layers to use GF to cut. I cannot understand like @aggrokulture what the process you used to get your final result and even if it relates to anything I’m trying.

What process did you do to get that SVG result?

3+1 is the scheme where you cut XYZ with B, or A, whatever you are calling your rotational axis, staying still and then B is activated and XYZ goes at it again. This is opposed to true 4 axes where B is active all the time.
In other words, I don’t think you will get the accuracy to cut a totem or such because we just don’t have that precise of control over the depth of cut (Z).

1 Like

I have seen some of the greyscale 3D engravings from the GF videos:

Why wouldn’t this be used with cuts like this ?

Why couldn’t one just rotate the jig then rotate the wood in the spindle to get Z with 3D engravings?

Abode Illustrator and Affinity Designer allow one to use brushes in as vector graphics, why couldn’t GFUI add brushes to give fine detail?

I painted this in Ai a while back. If GFUI had something like this it would be so awesome! It would be like painting, laser engraving, and sculpting at the same time.

In the film and gaming world for CGI, everything is done in passes.

I created a 3D engraving like this with my logo:

All these things put together I’m sure this would be possible.

Are you saying TinkerCAD isn’t letting you do it once you’ve imported your STL there, or are you saying Modo doesn’t have steps to export layers?

I imported an STL file I had downloaded from Thingiverse, and followed the steps shown in my first post. That’s the whole process.

It was just a flat piece. Take the SVG I showed, project it about 3 mm out from the screen, and that’s what it was. I just wanted it two-dimensional instead of 3.

1 Like

Correct TCAD when one imports STL, its a solid object. There are no steps like the castle he built in TCAD. When exporting STL import there are no steps because its a solid object. I tried several OBJ’s and they didn’t import at all.

You have to MAKE the steps. See step 2 in my original post. Exporting as SVG will export JUST the slice that’s sitting on the surface of the workspace. For multiple slices, you just move the object up or down by the amount you want the depth of your slice to be, and export again. Repeat until you have all the slices you need.

2 Likes