Converting a picture for keychain

Okay yall, I have searched and searched for the answer and I can’t find it. How do I convert this image to be used on an acrylic keychain?

1 Like

First you want to convert it into a B/W photo. I also increase the contrast. It will engrave better on cast acrylic as opposed to extruded too.

1 Like

Oh, and I like to reverse the image (this can be done on the GFUI) and engrave on the back of the acrylic.

1 Like

Thank you so much. How do I reverse the image?

In whatever graphics program you’re using there should be a flip/reverse menu item.
In PaintNet it’s called Flip Horizontal

Also remember you’re likely to want a cut line around it - once you upload you can use the tools there to add one, or you’ll need to use a vector program (Like Inkscape) to draw a cutline

1 Like

or you may find that removing the background makes for a clearer engrave

4 Likes

I would mirror it - turn the darks light & lights dark. That would leave her face closest to the surface and lighter in clear acrylic than her hair. Flip horizontal just changes the direction she’s facing.

My internet is lacking so I can upload a screenshot, but when you import the image into the GFUI workspace, select it. An option box will open on the right side on the scree. There are options for outline, mirror horizontally (the one you want) and mirror vertically.

Oh good point! In PaintNet that’s called Invert

and gets you this:

2 Likes

This one:

The Creative Tools suite is part of the premium trial so won’t be there for long if you don’t decide to subscribe so best not get used to them if you’re not planning to!

1 Like

Yes

For acrylic, you definitely want to invert. The general rule of thumb is that if the mark is lighter than the material, invert it. Glass and clear acrylic fall into this category because while the material is clear, and the mark is white, the material takes on the color behind it, which is darker than the white.

1 Like

Thank you all so much! I need more practice but my niece loved it!

image|500x500

2 Likes

That turned out beautifully!

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.