Cool comparison of laser engraved woods

Someone posted this on the laser forums earlier today. It has some rare woods and show how they compare and take darkening from engraving.

48 Likes

oooo dat ayous

https://www.advantagelumber.com/obeche.htm

4 Likes

Ah, you’re killing me with all this wood. I have so much of it ready to go but haven’t figured out the engravings I want to do. Soon. Soon. Nice inspiration.

10 Likes

This is the first ayous wood that I have seen. I like the contrast that the engraving creates. I have learned so much from all of these forums. :blush:

5 Likes

Also, cherry darkens over time, so the contrast will go down over a couple years

5 Likes

Didn’t know that! Mental bookmark. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is just aging over a couple years.

19 Likes

That’s even more dramatic than I imagined. Thanks for the visual!

1 Like

Yeah, No problem!

Walnut actually gets more colorful and contrasted as it ages. Just another reason for me to love walnut even more!

15 Likes

How long will that continue? I expect it would be much like any oxidized surface, once it is complete the process stops.

4 Likes

Yeah from what I’ve read it only happens in the first few years. Here’s the article I got the walnut photo from, it’s a good read:

17 Likes

Interesting, Thanks!

Some finishes will impede the process, and some cleaning processes will reverse it, btw. (We have a cherry dining room table, and have only been saying for the past 10 years that we really need to take it outside and re-oil/rewax.)

3 Likes