Cooling on a cool night

So fall seem to have come early (it’s about 65 outside right now) and 70 here in the house. I was not getting an updated picture on the bed, and then noticed it thinks it’s cooling right now. Not sure how much cooler it wants to be.

2018-08-21_20-23-37

1 Like

When did you last clean your GF’s fans?
Is the exhaust clear?

2 Likes

Update; I finally went to look at it to see if it was having trouble venting (the computer is nowhere near the GF) and in fact it had turned itself off? Seems to be back now. Ran jobs successfully after this.

Are you saying the switch was flipped to the On position and yet the unit wasn’t on?
And then, what… You flipped it off then back on again?

Yes the switch was on but the machine was dark and fans were off, you then need to flip it to off, wait around 15-20 seconds and turn it back on. then it comes back to life (and then for some reason it loses the settings for the job I had loaded which is a repeat). This has happened before to me, especially when it’s been sitting on for a long while (like days)

1 Like

The unit might have a thermal shutdown built in. Definitely would make sure that the exhaust vent is clean and there is no paper or other debris blocking the inlet on the right side.

1 Like

Interesting.

I haven’t heard that before. As I understand it, the only thing heat causes is the unit not to cut. But I’ve never seen mention of one where it actually powers down the unit.

Don’t have the schematics, so can’t say. Many, maybe most, decent power supplies have thermal protection.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know about this. I’m sorry you weren’t able to print and you lost your settings.

I’m looking into this now, and I’ll update the topic as soon as I have more information for you.

Do you remember the date and time when you found the unit powered off?

@Jaz, I think it was around 8pm’ish. You should see a reboot of the device around that time.

Thank you for the time.

Unfortunately, this behavior indicates an issue with your unit we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.