Copper House Numbers

It’s this one!

Tacklife PCG01B 3.7V Li-on Cordless Rotary Tool - Three-Speed with 31-Piece Rotary accessory Kit, USB Charging Cable, Collet Size 3/32-inch(2.3mm) - P

3 Likes

Yes! I’m a happy owner. :laughing:

2 Likes

Super nice. It just so happens I have a roll of very thin copper sheet I’ve been wondering what to do with. I think I’ll have to give something like this a go.
So many projects, so little time but it keeps me out of trouble eh?

1 Like

This is super cool…I have never worked with any metal sheeting before, so please excuse my next question if it seems…lacking…but do you keep the wood frame underneath?

This isn’t like creating a base mold and reusing it right? From the pictures I can’t tell if the wood is still under there or not. I’m assuming the copper that it being used is malleable, but the only copper I have interacted with is hard as a rock (you know…pennies…) :rofl: :rofl:

The wood is still underneath there. 5mil copper foil is very thin. it’s not thick like a sheet of copper you use for flashing on a roof.

1 Like

“5mil copper foil” is about 5 layers of heavy duty aluminum foil.

1 Like

Thanks, I figured, but I had to make sure…I would’ve been the one trying to hammer pennies into wood and pulling it off afterwards :rofl: :rofl:

I’ve never bought copper foil before, I’ll look for it now…and I’ve been out of aluminum foil for a couple of months, so I lack reference…I only bought to foil because my husband wanted to crumple it up and make those polished aluminum foil balls.

I left the wood in as I had no plans to make another copy. But if you were into making multiples there’s no reason you couldn’t pull the copper off and reuse the base. For my design/size I’d put another flat board under the shaped copper before hanging it. Maybe fill in between with some cement or resin if it were going somewhere it might get banged about. The 3d details are only 1/8" deep so it holds it’shape just fine if mostly left alone.

2 Likes

I experimented with the aluminum such as when you buy a pie or something. Thicker than even heavy duty Aluminum they work quite well.

1 Like