Cork map

Hello everyone! It has been forever since I’ve posted. I’m still around, I’ve just been busier than even I normally am… anyway. I recently made this super cool looking (I think anyway) engraved map on some cork sheets I got from Ikea a LONG time ago! I believe they sold them as cork placemats. Found an old image and did super little adjusting on it. Probably could have spent more time on that as the lines were so thin I had to run the engrave three times! Took…a while haha, but I am happy with the end result. This now hangs on the wall behind my new standing desk in my “office” :slight_smile: The overall size of the cork is roughly 16" x 10 1/2 " and I have it attached to a slightly larger black backer board.

46 Likes

Looks great.

As fort thin lines, especially vertical thin lines, you may need to slow the laser down to get good results. I learned this the hard way on my rat mink skull:

and then diagamed some laser theory here:

10 Likes

The image was also terrible lol, but I didn’t feel like spending forever tying to make it an SVG or lots of time in Photoshop lol

3 Likes

That’s wonderful! It looks like an ancient ships map.

I’ve got some of those placemats and a strong desire to mark places I want to go (back) to…seems like a match made at :glowforge:
:stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

I was actually trying to go for the old school ship map theme on my wall. I have some floating shelves on the wall too, and one has a Lego ship in a bottle lol

9 Likes

That turned out wonderful. Great idea!! I love Ikea hacks!

4 Likes

That’s beautiful! Love the idea of putting it on the cork!

3 Likes

that turned out beautifully!!

3 Likes

Love it. Got me thinking about what I should do in my BG

3 Likes

I love maps. I like your choice to use cork.

2 Likes

Very cool. I have some of those cork mats, too. The map looks awesome on there.

2 Likes