Cork Spice Jar Labels

Sea salt flakes are the result of me binge watching too many cooking shows on Netflix lately :sweat_smile:

1 Like

What? No Old Bay??

These are beautiful. I really like how you’ve selected and customized the fonts.

1 Like

I don’t want to derail the jar-labeling discussion, but a couple of comments on not having space prompted me to share something I did, that could be adapted to spice-jar storage as well.

I came up with this after years of using other options - knife blocks, wall-mounted magnetic holders, drawers, etc. This is what works for me - the hinges can support a lot of weight, but drop down and forward when they “open”. I secured a steel magnetic holder between them, and attached them to the underside of a cabinet (which happens to hold my spices, salts, seasonings and oils) above my primary workspace.

Anyway, it would be pretty trivial to make up a tray suspended in the same manner, and put your most-used spices in it. When not needed, it would fold up under the cabinet virtually out of sight (and away from light, which is important.)

These are the hinges I used. Looking at the pics, I think I also used some small right-angle brackets from the hardware store to make everything work.

6 Likes

We have one grocery store here and it’s stocks of regular ol’ supplies have been severely depleted the last few weeks, but all the nice things have been in plentiful supply! So I took that as the perfect excuse to get some flakes. With all the time I spend cooking, I should have bought some long ago :yum:

Fascinating that in this instance Ikea is way cheaper than Oriental Trading. I didn’t think that was possible!

1 Like

Once I got to the end, I realised I made a few glaring omissions… like cinnamon! What is this Old Bay you speak of??.. I’ve somehow gone 28 years without having laid my eyes upon any. But then again, I’m in Australia.

We have a steak house here that serves a platter of sliced Wagyu with 4 little compartments, each with a different salt. As if the beef wasn’t enough, the salts just push it over the edge.

I think that plate was $75! It doesn’t appear to be on the menu now.

4 Likes

I think you have to be born in the Northeastern US to get indoctrinated into the Old Bay world - I, on the other hand, have many times looked online for “Old Bay spice replacement” to find a recipe to fix the recipe I’m trying to make! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s a fantastic solution!

I’m afraid I’ve already installed some under-cabinet lights in the one spot that would work for this in my current kitchen, but I’ll keep it in mind when we move into the new place! I could do with storing my knives like that .

Old Bay Seasoning is a Maryland spice used on shrimp and crab. It’s delicious and very spicy, and you don’t want it anywhere near cuts or abrasions. We use it to teach how to combat coronavirus: “wash your hands like you’ve been eating crab with Old Bay and you have to take your contacts out.”

4 Likes

Old Bay is the US equivalent of Worcestershire Sauce. You can add it to many things, but probably shouldn’t add it to every thing.

1 Like

Gosh, I never thought of using cork for labels but it works beautifully!

2 Likes

This makes it all so pretty!!!

1 Like

OMG that scares the beejeebers (spelling?) out of me! I’m just klutsy enough I would bump something and the knives would all fall down. I think the idea of the tilting drawer sounds doable though. LOL

Thanks for the idea…I’m going to talk to Philip about that tonight. Wish I could do the jars like she did that works great for storing a lot…but I’m about 15-20 jars into my project already so I better stick to the same style.

1 Like

These totally rock! I have already gotten a jump on mine that @kathy posted quite awhile back that I really liked too Cute Spice Jars

I’d definitely like to do this for a wedding present in the future. Can you tell me where you got such thin cork (and I know better than to ask here the settings). If we move away to our own house, I could do something like this for my son — cuz the bottles will move with me. :wink:

2 Likes

I lucked out and found the cork at our local craft store - it came in quite a large sheet, for cheap! I’d been planning to track some down online, possibly something with an adhesive backing, but this lot saved me having to wait for shipping. I’m sure there’s got to be some similarly thin stuff available online! :slight_smile:

Those knife magnets are serious business! Nothing falls off them. Like, when you’re installing, you have to be extra careful not to put any of yourself between the magnet and the metal bracket or you end up with a huge bruise from the trapped skin…ask me how I know :-/
It never occurred to me to put them on a hinge, but I am so in love with the knives being accessible and yet not taking up any counter space!

2 Likes

So creative and organized!!!

i have two magnetic knife racks. it takes some serious effort to get them to fall off. i’m more likely to cut myself if i reach and grab from the blade end because it’s sticking so well (and sometimes i do that because stuff is in the way on the counter where the handles are, the boy scouts would take back my tokenship badge). .

2 Likes

Totin’ Chip :grin: