Corporis humani ossa, posteriori facie proposita

I hope Discourse doesn’t ban me for what it may assume is a spam title. :zipper_mouth_face:

Moderately inspired by this thread

I looked up some old anatomy art and came up with a bunch of Andreas Vesalius’s work, specifically Corporis humani ossa, posteriori facie proposita.

Some Photoshop work:

Then, some Illustrator work:

Then some Glowforge work:

I wasn’t happy with the contrast I developed in just one pass with the settings I had put in (visible in the upper-most portion of the above photo). A second pass with slower speed and higher power did the trick in developing suitable contrast.

If I redid it, I would definitely work on the text treatment a lot more and leave it a lighter value than I did, but that should be a pretty easy fix.

For scale - this is about 3.5x6".

60 Likes

Wow, amazing!

3 Likes

Holy moly I would LOVE to see some color added after the engraving. I also love it as-is. Well done.

2 Likes

I agree - just a splash of color would definitely help make it pop.

1 Like

This looks great! No idea what I was going to get when I clicked this thread

2 Likes

Excellent work!

1 Like

I like the thought of the text as it relates to the original work but it certainly needs addl attention to detail. What I would/will do here is actually redraw the text in Illustrator.

I think I’ll try it again, after I pick up some acrylic paints (thinking that would be best? I have oil paints here but so long to dry).

:rofl:

You’re not going to get anything better out of the machine than what you put in. That last bit of attention to detail (that takes the most time) is what takes something that looks pretty cool to something that looks pretty impressive.

1 Like

If you want to add a little color, you might want to give Copic markers (or any alcohol marker) a try. The color would be transparent so you would see the grain of the wood through it. I tried it on Proofgrade maple and it looks great. You would want to seal it with a water-based sealer or it could rub off. Test on a piece of scrap first!

2 Likes

I did that in an engrave and it was wicked into the maple veneer :slightly_frowning_face: Do you seal it first and then apply the markers and then seal again?

Was this on the older unfinished veneer? I didn’t have a wicking problem on the finished plywood but am not surprised it wicked if the veneer was unfinished.

No it was new PG Maple plywood so the veneer layer on top of the MDF core was finished. But it wicked into the maple.

It was a sign I made for my MakerFaire table (copped @henryhbk’s sign but added my QR referral link :smiling_face: )

Bummer! I guess it’s hit or miss how well it works. Maybe just a very light touch. I did the job after the masking had been removed, maybe the masking wicks it over.

1 Like

What about using SUGRU? It might not have the wicking problem you describe. Years ago, an instructor said using oil paint added to some sort of wood oil was a good way to stain the wood, but this would obviously wick like hell and would only work for distinct parts.

Just an idea on the SUGRU. Without my Glowforge I cannot attest that this actually works, so it’s just a forum brainstorming contribution.

1 Like

That’s a thought. I’ll have to give it a shot. I figured the masking would keep me from making a mess :smiling_face:

I flipped the piece over and did it again. Then I used embossing powder in the logo instead. That worked fine. Gotta get used to using it more.

I used the pens in my wine butlers and they didn’t seem to bleed but that was in cherry so the wood species seems to matter too.

1 Like

Really, really interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing!