Corrosion from Saltwater Air

Has anyone experienced corrosion from saltwater air on the metal parts of their Glowforge? I’ve recently moved a few blocks from the beach and have noticed what the saltwater air does to metal over time.

I set up my GF in the garage and have been wondering if this could be a problem later in time. The garage has a few vents to the outside and the garage door mostly stays closed. I have a dehumidifier running throughout the day, but it automatically shuts off when it fills up with water, so not truly running 24/7. Since my place is in west LA, it does not get terribly hot or humid.

Do any other GF users live near the beach and if so have you experienced any problems with corrosion?

1 Like

Hmm you know this has come up recentlyish where someone was thinking of taking their glowforge on a sailboat. Let me see, you’ll probably find it interesting.

Ah here we go:

3 Likes

Thanks!

Maybe @JimSocks could share more details about his air-tight enclosure when his GF is not in use.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I’ve had a Glowforge Basic for over 3 years, located in an unconditioned garage a block from the Pacific Ocean in La Jolla Shores, CA (i.e., San Diego). A dehumidifier sounds like a good idea. However, our garage is so “leaky” that something like that would probably run constantly because the normal wind direction is off the water! No obvious corrosion issues so far. :crossed_fingers: We’ve lived here for over 30 years without air conditioning. Rust, corrosion and damp salt (we use rice in the salt shakers) is a fact of life. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

I know that up here in Oregon along the coast, people’s car finishes take a beating with all the salt air.

1 Like

I haven’t got the boat yet (it won’t be built until 2025) but my plan was to make a “fish tank” to sit around the GF unless it’s in use, and keep a big bag of Dessicant inside when it’s closed.

4 Likes

I’d say that covers it!

5 Likes

Lived a couple of blocks from a beach, and I had several problems with my earlier machines. I did notice corrosion within mine, but I wouldn’t say it was from the ocean air, as much as I’d say it was the humidity. One part very likely got corrosion from an errant Windex spray: I used to spray directly on to the glass lid, and probably had a shot hit the board that the lid cable connects to. Where there’s almost no way that the accessory board, located within the left hand side of the machine could have been damaged in the same way, I found corrosion where the design of the machine was likely the culprit.

The airflow of the exhaust fan pulls the smoke/particles across the underneath of this board in a very specific way, causing a buildup of debris to form across a couple of solder points. This debris eventually absorbed a tiny amount of the humidity in the air, causing the pins to short out. When I replaced the board, by requesting one from Glowforge, I simply put a piece of electrical tape on the new solder points, and they’ve not had a problem since. I also noticed that the metal trim of my machines developed pockmarks, again, from the humidity, hard to say whether that had to do with the ocean breeze or not. I should also mention that I lived in Hawaii, and many metal things typically would eventually die from rust. Many winter mornings after it had rained, the entire house would feel wet, even the dust that built up on things felt as though it had been misted, so this is why I’d attribute the humidity over the salt in the air to the corrosion issues of general electronics, like the USB ports on my computers or USB cables for my cell phone.

3 Likes

For all of you that live on/near the beach, i have to say, can’t feel sorry for you:-) More just jealous you get to see the ocean every day!! Living in Missouri, I’m about as far away from the ocean as you can get…but we do get to enjoy the high humidity :roll_eyes:

However, i do hope your GF is safe!

9 Likes

You should not see any corrosion issues from salt water air provided you wipe the machine down from time to time and don’t let condensation build up. The aluminum parts are the most susceptible, though they should be anodized which will prevent damage.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.