Could the GF beep when it is ready to print?

It would be great if the GF could issue a little beep when it is ready to print.

Some designs can take quite a while to process and be print ready, a little beep to say “press the button” would be a nice aid.

Could be done at the GF or the UI.

6 Likes

That is a Brilliant idea: I thought the same thing today as we went thru down times with these updates > BEEP would be just fine . :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Would be difficult. There’s no speaker.

(There used to be a connector, can’t say if it was removed early on when they removed the USB connector as well. They were only on the earliest machines, and I believe there was a speaker then as well.)

1 Like

Didn’t know it had been removed - I remembered seeing it on a circuit diagram at some point.

In that case do it on the UI. In which case it could even speak to you!!! “Your print is ready sir” :slight_smile:

Actually, that works both ways, something to tell you to start and something to tell you when it’s done.

2 Likes

The UI already tells you when a print is ready.

Yes, but since I work with multiple windows on multiple projects I’ve often moved on while I’m waiting. Its fine when it is just a few seconds, but irritating when it is a couple of minutes or more before your print is ready.

2 Likes

The button blinks when it’s ready.

Yep, I know the display changes and the button blinks.
However, an extra beep would be useful to me because of the way I work.
For instance, my current print took nearly 2 minutes to prep - by that time I’ve moved on and my back is to my machine.
Earlier today I was talking to my wife while waiting and kept having to look over to check.
It’s just a convenience thing.

2 Likes

1000% agree. I’ve been yelling about audio cues forever. This is such a no brainer.

6 Likes

Beeper or not, the forge has 2 stepper motors that make noise when you move them. They could be used to “play” a tune to indicate readiness or several different tunes to represent different states of being. This could even be an opt in feature for those who wish to not add this minute amount of extra miles on their xy drive. I, for one, would welcome extra audible clues.

6 Likes

That’s what I think - why would you not?

2 Likes

I made you a present. This Chrome extension will add a magical melody when the print button becomes ready.

I can’t publish it through the Chrome store until it goes through the review process and then I upload the new version that isn’t broken and then that goes through the review process. But if you know how to install it manually (extract the ZIP, turn on developer mode in the extensions settings, click Load Unpacked, select the directory), you can use it now.

glowforge-beep.zip (90.8 KB)

If you use some other browser, sorry, they’re all a little different and I had to pick one.

26 Likes

What directory : ?
This is a great add on , I hope I get it working

I also would like to recommend the Switch Bot to push the button from your Phone , as this can save you a lot of time . Priceless.

The one you got from unzipping the file.

Step 1:
Unzip file.

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4
Open 2020-09-27 18-57-18

Step 5
Extensions 2020-09-27 18-57-46

15 Likes

I just tested it and its working perfectly , I did change the Sound to something shorter.
Thank you what a fantastic Gift , I hope you use the Switch Bot .

3 Likes

I assume that plugin will cease working if Glowforge changes the ui too much?

Thank you Chris1for the extension! wish i had that kind of mind for programming
And thank you coalakida for recommending the Switchbot, just ordered it

1 Like

It will cease working if they look at it funny.

8 Likes

Yeah. That’s why I never greasemonkeyed it or anything, I just can’t figure out why they haven’t added it or a laundry list of ui improvements. Too busy making a janky editor I guess.

2 Likes