Could the GF beep when it is ready to print?

This is friggin’ awesome and it’s the first thing that has made me consider leaving my Fox for Chrome, at least for GF stuff. Thanks Chris!

1 Like

How excellent - sadly I’m a firefox user - but you can have house points from me for doing this.

I might even switch to Chrome for forging because of this.

3 Likes

You are a true maker (i.e., instead of trying to convince him he doesn’t need or want what he’s asked for, you found a solution). Nicely done!

7 Likes

Thanks @chris1! Your lovely audio choice actually sounds similar to one of my phone alarms so I changed the sound to the TNG computer saying “Program initiated, enter when ready” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Yeah I went with a Beep. :slightly_smiling_face:

You can have some fun changing the MP3 to anything you like. :slight_smile:

Might I suggest:
ready.mp3.zip (17.5 KB)

3 Likes

Wow, @chris1 you rock!

1 Like

This just goes to show how incredibly little Glowforge is doing to improve the UI. This took minutes to make it work (granted it’s a bit of a hack on top of what is no doubt a complicated stack and has no concerns for cross platform utility).

We’ve been asking for this feature and many others like it literally for years. Glowforge could have done it ages ago, they just… won’t. I guess it doesn’t make them money, so it gets thrown to the bottom of lists. The UI has languished too long, it’s a major weakness at this point.

2 Likes

For me its not having folders to put my designs in : I spend countless hours a week looking for designs in the design layout . Its a mess and things are always moving on me. I would gladly pay money to have folders rather than text and shapes and ruler that should have been part of the Glowforge from day 1.

1 Like

It probably took more like 4 hours. And that’s without any real testing, cross-browser support, configuration, rollout planning, completely ignoring all the things that can go wrong with audio permissions, and whatever else I’m forgetting.

I think you’re being really unfair to the Glowforge UI developers. The decision to do something is always a decision not to do something else. They’ve been releasing a lot of improvements lately, they might not be the ones you want, but I wouldn’t call it languishing.

I still think they could have the best of both worlds with an officially supported extension mechanism. Let people like me who have a Sunday afternoon with nothing better to do than dork around with JavaScript build all kinds of little enhancements for free.

14 Likes

How about @JimmyWayneWestie’s favorite song? :smile:

1 Like

While I was reading your post I was eating a pear. I came very close to choking because I am LMAO!!!

That truly is my favorite song. Billions of songs out there and I have chosen a Clarence Carter classic.

Now this is my second favorite song. Absolutely do NOT listen to the song or watch the video if you love dogs.

2 Likes

Love Love Love this app , been using it tonight as I nap between Print Bells . Awesome

I also got it work with a third party browser. Thank you again.

2 Likes

There is a speaker. Correction: The original units i.e my unit has one.

But I could see them removing it as a cost saving measure for later units.

Even still they could generate a tone via the steppers if they really wanted too.

2 Likes

I just had to post, I literally LOL every time my browser now tells me “You may fire when ready”!

7 Likes

While cool, I think I’d prefer captain Picard saying it.

2 Likes

“Fire at will” always makes me think of the Dr. Demento Show.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.