Crafty Cretin - Things I made

I am not worthy! Great work and inspiration to provide greater things!

1 Like

Great work, really like “What a difference…” keep posting

1 Like

Awesome work ! Did you purchase the plaque at the end or cut it yourself from lumber?

Thank you. Wood plaque was purchased from Target. ($7, compared to $14 at Michaels! So when I see them at Target, I buy 2 or 3.) I would LOVE to mill them, and have watched many a vid/tutorial on DIY bandsaw and chainsaw mills. But I’m just not prepared to get THAT heavy into wood working.

1 Like

I’m gonna guess Danny Way, but I’ve never seen one in that colorway.

1 Like

Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner!

I’ve had this action figure for a loooong time. X-Toys from 2000. Magnets in the feet. I have BobBurnquist, Steve Caballero, and Bucky Lasek. (I think that’s a full set, but I’m not sure.)

1 Like

Was trying to think of who it looked like who was on both H-street and XYZ teams, and this didn’t look at all like Eric Koston. But then those DC Shoes… I had those, or some very similar ones.
(Way’s brother was the co-founder of DC)

1 Like

Yep. (SkaterSince87 myself.)

2 Likes

The Lurking Cretin has returned to post his latest creations!

Did the neighborhood “Open Air Market” as an ‘alternate,’ just means someone else wasn’t going to show up, so I got their spot. $10 for a tiny four hour market. (I made $50, so meh.) Nothing new really, just the left overs from the FlowerFest (where I was approached by the market manager…) Anyway… bro found this like new awning for $60. It feels HUGE, especially with only one table o’ stuff.

I will definitely do the market again. I have agreed to two more dates (3 more possible after those). I just want to make more stuff and not keep selling the same old stock. Lots of new ideas in my head.

Made some friends with other vendors. Made these for a ceramics artisan. Test samples of acrylic stamps. Love the small thin detail I can get with Jarvis. She’s also going to do some experimenting for bracelets (see below) for me.

Made some ‘shelves’ for a card artisan. I approached her with the idea, when she said she didn’t have enough room on her table so if I wanted to see some more designs, there was a box to sort through. Told her I’d hook her up. LOL (Because when you have a GF, EVERY problem has a laser cutting solution.) She wanted something flatpack, and not too heavy. Made a prototype out of cardboard. Traded her 15 cards for two of these. She was thrilled. I was happy with how they came out after days of researching various designs.

HeartShelf1
HeartShelf2

Primus keytag. Did this for a friend. She posted she went to a concert the day before a festival (PlayThink) we were both attending. I saw her post and had this done in less than an hour to take with me to give to her at the festival. She was ecstatic! Made a second one and mailed it to her for her friend that went with her.

Founder of said festival and friend. (I’ve been lucky with photos. I usually just guess with the settings anymore. I start with messing with the brightness and contrast in Photoshop, and I futz with the dots and other settings in the GFUI. I always use 1000 speed because etching even 5x7 photos takes forever. (Impatient - yes, firstworldproblems)

Owners of the venue for said festival. Such a cool couple.

First attempt at a leather bracelet. I dig stupid simple construction. Not gonna be sewing leather. Glue or rivets is as far as I’m willing to craft. Also at said festival, a vendor liked this so much, and didn’t even finish reading the quote before she gasped and said her daughter was about to get that as a tattoo! I traded her 2 bracelets for 3 pounds of her leather scraps. Lots of cool colors to play with on future endeavors. Not sure why the second photo is so green. Both pieces of leather in this are brown/tan, no green at all.

Second attempt combining a bit o’ wood. For a six year old girl who loves fairies. Leaves are scored.

Motorcycle themed plaque for a retiring colleague. 3 layers. Walnut, maple (nonPG), and lil’ bit o’ red acrylic.

And a fun lil’ experiment. I love to make lil’ notebooks from scrap paper. Had these in a box for a few years now. Been thinking about selling them like “field notes.” Researched the forums for cardstock settings. 15 power, 1000 speed, gives a nice color, no masking and no burning. I think this is a nice lil’ $3 notebook. (Though these have all been gifted already.) I hoard paper samples and cutoffs for these.

That’s it for now. Looking to do a lamp or two by the 21st (next market date for me). As well as some leather work. Probably a few simple quote plaques as well. Something that will sell quick and a lot of because they’ll be cheap. Maybe some wine boxes/glass caddies. Gotta make more “namastay in bed” key tags. There’s outdoor yoga for an hour right next to the market every week. :slight_smile:

24 Likes

Just a couple of new things.

This is a promo ‘chip clip’ or fridge magnet for fridge art from a bank. Bought a bag of 10 at a yard sale YEARS ago for $.50. Ran across them while purging some craft supplies… And these days, I have Jarvis, and sticky back wood laminate. And now I have stylish clips. (One on the fridge, and some to sell.)

And slowly starting to experiment with leather. Again, I dig the stupid easy projects. Leather swatch book sample, etched (PG settings), then added a few rivets. Nice little change tray. (Note: I did not cut the leather with Jarvis. Only etched. No need to futz with charred edges. Swatches were the perfect size already, just had to round a couple of corners.)

More to come in the not so distant future! Keep on making!

16 Likes

For the leather stuff–you’re off to a great start! Years ago I was silk screening “No power in the 'verse…” and need do more etch, too. Upholstry leather can be fun w/ the different colors between the top finish & the leather body! The trays are great, too–nothing wrong with good rivets!

Since you mentioned a friend going to work at Boeing–do you happen to be in the NW, too?

1 Like

Thanks!

No, I’m in Kentucky, he’s actually from Indiana, and I believe he is working in California, in their space division(?).

I am!!! Battle Ground, WA. Where are you?

Bremerton now–grew up in Kent–some years other states, then Seattle for 15+. My dad was 40+years at the Lazy B, my brother & his wife are lifers there, too!

1 Like

Great–never been in KY, used to travel to NE TN for work… Boeing has loads of locations–CA especially since merger w/ McD-Douglas. And Amazon took over the old Space Center that was in Kent, WA…

Made a couple of new items. And some special orders.

Just basic fancy scroll work pencil/votive holders (?). Lots of comments, no buyers. Meh, that’s ok. Not really doing it for the money (yet?). Still, very happy with them, and it’s always disappointing when things don’t sell.

Gantzer Farms items. She wanted something on cedar, so she brought me a plank and I went to town. Started with this (after cutting it up). I do like cutting cedar. Smells lovely.

And ended up with these.

Close up of the sign on simply birch ply (not PG, but might as well be). 3 layers. Spent a couple of hours futzin’ with her file, cutting it apart, outlining the pieces, and ‘attaching’ all the soap bubbles to the bar before tossing it to Jarvis for the easy part. (Believe it or not, she didn’t like it and didn’t buy the sign. 'Tis ok, I’ll use it as a sample of what I can do, even with a tough logo to start.)

I am very proud of the unique business card holder. 'Twas originally just a scrap, where I tested my settings for etching on the cedar. (You can see it is way too dark.) But the image wasn’t horrible, and the other side (where I had planned to do another test) was the perfect size for business cards. I thought about just leaving it as is, and she could lay cards on the flat piece. Decided that was WAY to ‘crunchy’ and minimalist, and continued to overthink it a few days, going from building a birch box, to a leather tray attached… and then lightbulb of using clear acrylic as to not compete with the cedar. Tada! She absolutely loved this!

Simple name plaque for a soon arriving granddaughter. Have sent the pic, don’t know if the client likes it yet, but again, if she doesn’t, it’s a great sample of my (Jarvis’) capabilities. PG maple, PG walnut. Easy peasy.

And last but not least for this round, 100 BurningMan pendants for a local burner headed out to the desert next week… my 73 year old Mother! :smiley: She’s a nutball says I. I did the multi-up pattern in such a way as so the ‘waste’ will be a nice patterned panel. (Might use it for a display background on my market table, or perhaps to hang earrings?)

Until next time ‘burners!’ Have fun. Stay safe! Inspire the world! (As you do.)

Comments/suggestions/lavish praise/gift cards/dranks! are always welcome! LOL

16 Likes

I’m surprised the scrollwork didn’t sell too - definitely my favorite. (Oh well, everyone has different tastes.)

1 Like

Love the evolution of the business card holder! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Love the scrollwork, but I’m finding some things I like the market has less appreciation :sunglasses: . I agree with your take on the bubble sign, take the loss, move on and use the experience as a learning opportunity. The card holder is fantastic! Rustic and modern at the same time.

The Burning Man stuff is fabulous! Cudos (sp) to your mother, mine went to Machu Pichou @ 78 because she thought she needed to get there before she couldn’t.

4 Likes

Thanks! My thoughts exactly. Think I may take special orders for those… those ‘live edge’ slabs from craft stores (used for the “difference a day makes” plaque in this thread) will be perfect… cut in half. Super simple.

1 Like