Crane Lantern

That looks fantastic. Love intricate detail. Post again when you get the vellum and light!

2 Likes

Will do!

2 Likes

Very well done. Excellent project. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Turned out fantastic!

2 Likes

This is a beautiful piece even with out lighting.

2 Likes

Got my parts today! I’m pretty stoked about how it turned out. :slight_smile:

22 Likes

That looks fabulous!

1 Like

Oh yeah! That’s gorgeous! I even have some pergamenata that would stand in for the vellum…

Is the vellum actual vellum (as in really really really thin leather) or is it a parchment of some sort?

2 Likes

That is absolutely perfectly gorgeous!

1 Like

It’s the paper stuff they call vellum. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow. That is truly beautiful!

2 Likes

Truly amazing! :heart_eyes:

Looks fantastic! An LED bulb doesn’t produce much heat, but it does produce heat. Can it properly vent? Wood and paper are both heat insulators, so you’ll get some build-up. I wonder if the top paper should be removed or modified to allow venting.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m cogitating on that. The bulb is pretty tall in there too…

It’s barely warm to the touch after being on for an hour or so, but I haven’t tried leaving it on longer to see how warm it might get.

1 Like

As long as you have smoke detectors…

1 Like

And the volunteer fire department is a mere 30 minutes away, so I feel TOTALLY safe… :wink:

3 Likes

As long as the structure is over-insured…

1 Like

I’ve always said the motto of our volunteer fire department is, “We’ve never lost a foundation.”

I mean they’re volunteers, fire is fast, they do what is practicable. I don’t blame them.

5 Likes

Do you have an IR thermometer?

Regardless, if you can touch the bulb surface after it’s been on for a couple of hours, I wouldn’t stress over it.

2 Likes

So far this year I have not stressed over anything. It’s a lovely feeling. :slight_smile:

5 Likes