Crane Lantern

I’m counting this one as at least 4 days of design for the 30 DoD challenge @polarbrainfreeze started, 'cause those cranes took forever to vectorize and meld into the background pattern! The lantern is slightly modified from my previous one (Kumiko-Style Lantern) – mainly I added some legs at the bottom to allow room for an electrical cord underneath.

I’m still waiting for the vellum I ordered to put behind the panels. I also ordered an LED “Edison” bulb to put inside, so it’s still not complete. We’re going over to visit my parents tomorrow at their retirement community, though, and my dad specifically asked that I bring “one of those intricate things you’ve been making” so he can show his friends, so I had to get it put together as much as I could! :slight_smile:

82 Likes

That is gorgeous! Lovely work on the cranes…thank you for sharing this, it’s very inspiring!

6 Likes

Wow! That is stunning! Beautiful work!

4 Likes

Yeah, I really like the cranes. :sunglasses: :+1:

4 Likes

Pretty awesome

3 Likes

Simply stunning…well done!!

3 Likes

Visually stunning :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Your dad’s friends are not going to believe their eyes. Great project!

3 Likes

I think I’m with the majority here, first word that comes to mind here is stunning…wow.

5 Likes

Stunning is the word!!

3 Likes

Really beautiful! That’s going to throw some great shadows.

6 Likes

Just gorgeous! Love how each panel is different.

4 Likes

Absolutely stunning :heart_eyes: making the design in the different wood is a great thing!

When I was little my parent’s bedroom had a multipanel glass door to the backyard and I now realize why they might want it covered, My mother found an idea someplace that soaking tissue in a mix of water and glue and putting it on freezer paper with scattered pressed fall leaves would look like hand made paper. It held up looking good over 20 years.

I was thinking that trick on regular paper might work for the vellum in the lantern,

4 Likes

Wow, just amazing! I’d be afraid to pick it up, I’d probably fat-finger right through the mesh.

2 Likes

Wow! Beautiful.
Vellum, parchment or even frosted acrylic would look great too. Acrylic would lend a lot of strength to back up the fragile art.

4 Likes

Oh, wow. My birthday is coming up in April… :wink:

4 Likes

I steal my wife’s baking parchment paper all the time. It comes in long rolls too that are great.

5 Likes

It lends a nice warm color to the lighting as well.

4 Likes

Beautiful work!

3 Likes

It’s so beautiful! They will be delighted to show this off!

2 Likes