Really exquisite! These are treasures.

5 Likes

WOW… that’s all I got… Just Wow…

3 Likes

Just beautiful!

2 Likes

These are beautiful!!

2 Likes

Thank you! These small bags make for a very good sporran. I sold one recently to a guy who is using it as such. We just replaced the strap with a pair of leather belt loops with clips on the ends. Basically like attached:

12 Likes

Spectacular. I’m amazed at the results.

7 Likes

So Beautiful! I want them all! Great job! Incredible!!!

2 Likes

Thank you! They’re a lot of fun to make. Check out some other designs I’ve made and I’ll have a few more coming soon!

3 Likes

I can see how that would work for a belt, but what about a more formal setting where a belt isn’t worn? Might be worth looking into the sporran hanger option if you want to expand the audience.

If you did a version with a sporran hanger I would buy one. Though I prefer a snap or magnetic flap closure. Even better if you have a pocket for my phone inside. I am always worried about scratches since my car keys are also in the sporran.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if I follow you about not wearing a belt with a belt. How would the hangers work without one?
I can make them with chains if that’s what you mean? Kinda like these:

I would make modified versions of my wallet chains.

4 Likes

A kilt is often worn without a belt. Belts are casual wear and are decorative. For formal wear, a chain hanger or a leather strap hanger is worn. This means the waistcoat doesn’t cover the belt and often decorated buckle.

The chain hanger has a short leather belt on both ends for adjustability and ease of fastening and clips into D-rings mounted about 1/3 down the back of the sporran, about where a belt loop might be on a pouch. The leather hanger runs through a belt loop on the sporran. What I usually see is the sporran is made with about a 2 inch belt loop on the back and then a 2 inch strap is made with D-rings in both ends. This is inserted into the belt loop for use with a chain hanger and removed when used with a strap hanger.

You don’t really want your sporran fixed in front of you. It needs to be pretty easily moved to the side for when nature calls. If your buckle is between the loops that your sporran is hanging from, as in your photos, you now have to move the whole belt. It’s a lot easier to slide the hanger than the whole belt.

I have both a leather hanger and a chain hanger so I appreciate the ability to wear the sporran with either. The leather hanger is worn for casual days and Ren Faire with a simple flap closed sporran; the chain for weddings and the like when I pull out the full fur sporran with the tassels and polished cantle.

3 Likes

If you don’t mind me asking, what do you use on your edges? I’ve just used a slicker for the longest time, but still can’t seem to get the same level of polish I’ve seen on others. Do you use an edge paint?

3 Likes

@ Andy_Mock

Do you work with the Delrin in the glowforge? I’ve read it’s a easily flamable material in a laser and was just curious about making your embossing plates.

Beautiful work.

1 Like

Oberon, and other leather workers, were noticeably missing from the Nor Cal Renaissance Faire this year, so the door is wide open…

2 Likes

Wow! The first is my favorite, especially the color. Just incredible.

11 Likes

If you’re using only a slicker you won’t get anywhere. I sand the edges down starting with 120, then 220. After sanding I’ll make a slurry of saddle soap and water, wet your edges with a dauber, and then use your slicker. Once that is done I dye the edges with Fiebing’s Pro Old Dye. I may come back with a very light sanding with 400 if needed. Then re-dye. The final step is rub bees wax onto the edges and a final burnish with the slicker. I have a cocobolo burnisher mounted in a drill press that makes quick work. It’s a process for sure!

3 Likes

I do! One of the main reasons why I got a laser. Check it out: Delrin Leather Stamp

1 Like

Gasp! those are beautiful! Thank you for sharing

1 Like