Crumb tray is not level/even

I had not noticed this - my crumb tray is not flat. If you feel across the service, there is a point at which the honeycombs in the real are lower than the ones in the front. I have been using magnets on the front half - where I have always positioned my work… No I am working with some larger pieces, and just noticed this.

What should I do?

Got a pic? This is a new one to me, sounds bad.

I will post one soon. I double checked, and it’s an indentation on one side - but the comes don’t looked squished. Photo to come - in a bit. I also want to double-check my perception. It’s subtle.

Since visual isn’t a good indicator of level or flat I might perform a test.

The zero surface is relative to the head height and nothing else. With power off… Place several playing cards or something similar at a corner of the honeycomb. Tape a Popsicle stick vertically to the side of the head so that it just touches the playing cards. (The playing cards are to provide a known spacer height above the honeycomb without having to drag the Popsicle stick across the grate.) Gently move the head to another place on the honeycomb and see if the approximate height above the honeycomb remains the same. I have no idea if it will vary by 1 card or 7 cards but it will give you an idea of the variance. You can measure the differences of the combined cards with a pair of calipers.

Or you can clamp a digital indicator to the mounting plate like I did. But most people don’t have one of those handy.

6 Likes

I inspected further - and its more of an indentation. It’s something I can feel, but would be tough to photo.

@rpegg - that’s some fine forensic solution, right there.

2 Likes

Well if it’s small enough, you should be OK if the material can straddle over this low point (a high point would be a whole different problem). But you should send a note to support, and try to get a replacement, as sounds like a defect from somewhere in their process that let a part get out like this.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know about this. I’d like to take a look at the variance.

Can you please do the following:

1. Turn off your Glowforge
  2. Ensure the Crumb Tray is flat in the bed
  3. Gently move the Printer Head so it is directly above the high point on the Crumb Tray
  4. Place a ruler in front of the Printer Head and take a photo that shows the distance from the Crumb Tray to the Printer Head
  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 at the low point on the Crumb Tray
  6. Upload the photos to your reply here

Thank you in advance!

1 Like

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.