Inspired by this post, I made these trivets. I was only going to make one, but once I cut it out, I figured I’d just cut the same thing out of four different types of wood, and interchange the pieces. I knew in doing so there would be a kerf gap, but for this I didn’t care. I’d rather have them done for Christmas!
This file isn’t perfect, as somehow a couple of the pieces are slightly different, and I had to sand off a bit of the edges to get them to fit. But I had already cut them all out. Oh well. Like I said…done for Christmas! Yay!
I used 1/8" proofgrade plywood for the four top colours (basswood, maple, cherry, walnut), and the bottom is some other construction leftover plywood, I couldn’t tell you what it is, but it’s about 1/4" thick. I put some thick layers of varnish over the top and sides, and some wool felt on the bottom.
I have not tested it out yet as the varnish still needs some time…but I think it will be fine for protecting the countertop.
Here’s the file.
cubes trivet.svg.zip (2.6 KB)
Do with it what you want. It’s workable as is, but with a little more tweaking, could be perfect.