Cube trivets

Inspired by this post, I made these trivets. I was only going to make one, but once I cut it out, I figured I’d just cut the same thing out of four different types of wood, and interchange the pieces. I knew in doing so there would be a kerf gap, but for this I didn’t care. I’d rather have them done for Christmas!
This file isn’t perfect, as somehow a couple of the pieces are slightly different, and I had to sand off a bit of the edges to get them to fit. But I had already cut them all out. Oh well. Like I said…done for Christmas! Yay!
I used 1/8" proofgrade plywood for the four top colours (basswood, maple, cherry, walnut), and the bottom is some other construction leftover plywood, I couldn’t tell you what it is, but it’s about 1/4" thick. I put some thick layers of varnish over the top and sides, and some wool felt on the bottom.
I have not tested it out yet as the varnish still needs some time…but I think it will be fine for protecting the countertop.

Here’s the file.
cubes trivet.svg.zip (2.6 KB)
Do with it what you want. It’s workable as is, but with a little more tweaking, could be perfect.
Merry Christmas!

56 Likes

Pretty!

Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

Those look great! So pretty with the varnish! :grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks! The varnish isn’t perfect either…which is really hard for me to leave as they are. I’ve been slowly getting the perfectionist worn out of me…painfully. But, I’ve gotta know when to stop and just let it be. Everything doesn’t have to be perfect all the time (even though I really, really want it to be!).

5 Likes

Very nice. Thanks for sharing the file and your experience.

2 Likes

They are beautifully mesmerizing! Thanks for the design.

2 Likes

Being on your gift list is a good thing! Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

Those are really cool! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Wow, the trivets came out great! They’re so nice, I hate the thought of anyone actually setting something on one. I’d end up sticking one on the wall. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

These are very pretty! Thank you for sharing your work!

2 Likes

Nice. thanks for sharing! now I just want to go play Qbert

3 Likes

Love it! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like