Custom Memento Puzzle - Kitt Peak, AZ

Wow! This a project to aspire to! Thanks for the detail in explaining its creation!

1 Like

You could do that and then use Meshlab or other such software to get a 3D model and use that to get a white to black elevation model and then use that to to cut a 3D relief engraving into the thicker woods.

1 Like

That would be amazing! I would cry about how long 3D engraving an 11x17 piece would take! Didn’t @jbmanning5 do that in Lather, Rinse, Repeat ?

1 Like

Thank you for your kind note ;p

The question is what else would you be doing? you need to get a job out in 24 hours that will take 30 20 min cuts and you have to do a lot of finishing to do perhaps not. However, If you need to do a lot of work cleaning, or design work on the computer, so you are sitting with the Glowforge but not cutting then that is the time it could be cutting something amazing.

Also the larger the area the better results in speeding up the cut, so 1500 speed is faster than 1000 under such conditions, while not so much on tiny pieces,

1 Like

I would love to see what type of 3D, or rather, 2.5D puzzles you could come up with! That would definitely be neat and I bet there would be a market for them, especially with the Association of Games and Puzzles members.

1 Like

I was thinking more on the box than the puzzle. I have done a lot of relief carved boxes, as the relief carving adds enough value to not compete with those that are just simple boxes, often sold for less than one might buy the wood for.

2 Likes

I did. It took a few hours. That was before the engrave limits were extended, so probably 3 hours. Took me less time to paint it :slight_smile:

1 Like