Customer service hell. My Glowforge Story

How would I go about checking the lenses?
I inspected the lens in the side of the head and the one on the bottom of the head and it looked fine to me, but I dont know exactly what I’m looking for. I literally just popped the head onto the gantry following the setup instructions, put in a piece of medium draftboard, loaded up the project and started the print

If you haven’t pulled the lens from the bottom of the head for cleaning before then it is less likely to be wrong. You can use the blue lens tool to remove it. The bowl side of the lens should point into the head and the flatter side out. Maybe you could upload pictures of the engraves you say are ghosted for the community to see and comment.

That’s happened on a relatively small number of units, but I can never recall the search terms to bring it up in Problems and Support. Every case of it that I can recall, that’s been posted here, has had to be replaced.

If you take a look at the google drive link I posted above all of my pictures are there

I really hope that is not the case. With the heartache i’ve had so far I REALLY hope they can come up with another solution. scores and cuts seem to be fine.

Apparently I said almost the exact thing in that thread also… found it, at least!

1 Like

Looking at the pictures I didn’t see the double lines on the GOGM. Though I’m on a phone now. The pics with the pointers look like file problems to me. What do other folks think? Hard to diagnose from a blurry phone.

Can’t help with the ghosting question - but on one of your images you commented about “lines showing up on the print that are not in the vector”
That happens when you’ve got open paths in your design - the :glowforge: is doing it’s best to try and figure out what you wanted and sometimes it concludes that you wanted a line (you never want a line, but it’s a computer not an artist :-P) SO - go back into your vector and find those open paths and that should be fixed

A few zoomed pictures to help with viewing on mobile

The lines only seemed to show up in 2 of my 6 character prints I tested. I used the inkscape trace feature and I dont think that allows for open paths but who knows

Yeah, it figures it out each time - which means even if you run the exact same design 5 times you could get lines on 1, or 2, or 3, or 4, or 5, or none!

I’m working with the artist to make a version that will engrave better anyways. Hopefully in the less detailed versions I’ll have less paths to search through if this is the case

I have a guess as to the cause of the GOGM ghosting but it would involve an issue that is not fixable by the end user. So I will defer to Support or others on this one.

Just rasterize it at a high PPI.

Care to elaborate? I’d really like to know even if its just for my own info.
It looks like the person in the thread linked above had SOMETHING shipped to them as a replacement but they did not send back the whole thing

December 2015 is the original promised date.

April 2019 is 3 years, 5 months.

If you go from original order date…

Sept 2015 is the original date.

April 2019 is 3 years, 7 months.

2 Likes

The GOGM is a known design. It’s meant to be something you can’t screw up. At least not with double lines like that. Unless you accidentally cut and pasted two copies which I assume didn’t happen. I have some really screwed up eyes. Each of my eyes sees two distinct images because alignment problems (4 images total). Possible that there are optical path issues.

But now that I look at it closer it seems to be only in the engrave and not the score so I am confused. Can parts of the GOGM be duplicated by the user?

Yeah it seems to ONLY be with the engrave. I watched the scores and cuts work perfectly.
I DID copy and paste the design so I could put it on multiple parts of the board for troubleshooting but my first print of it (and my very first print, period) was just dragged to the corner of the board so I could save space. I even tried with the metric and imperial version of the GOGM. Unrelated but still interesting, I must have accidentally saved over the original gift of good measure with blank workspace because loading it now doesnt show anything. not even on the side where it lists all the steps that it is going to take to cut the piece.

You can get the original GOGM back. Can’t remember the simple steps. Never did it. Others?