Customized Print Button Escutcheon

I was hoping for a tiny Sha’re, but nothing yet. :innocent:

1 Like

I mentioned this in a safety thread but this might be a better spot… How about a safety glasses caddy that sits on the GF, and actually obstructs the Print button until you remove the glasses? Though, it would be a lot uglier than the stargate…

1 Like

I think I want a Batman sticker so I will get the bat signal when it is time to print.

9 Likes

if you made one of those out of acrylic and maybe beveled/rounded the outer edge, would it glow like an edge-lit sign when the button was active? That would probably be kind of cool…

4 Likes

That is a neat idea. Use thicker acrylic.

Had a few minutes this morning free before going into work to make a reality @joker’s suggestion. Thinking about @takitus’s stargate for his dad, I do need to etch the water ripples into the blue acrylic, but just to knock it out, here it is. Design on a different device so tonight I’ll post the file in the Free Laser Designs.

Proofgrade 1/4" clear acrylic with an overlay of a PNG version of an SVG file of the Stargate. Cut the center button out of 1/8" blue acrylic from Inventibles. It totally works!

They glow in this. I think I can work with a little to get the symbols to glow a little better. Keep the bottom making on and paint the masking to have a darker backgound of the glowing symbols. Should have turned the lights out for the video because it shows up much better IRL!

32 Likes

Yes, i must do this. Absolutely. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Looks like the “Pimp Your Pre-Release” contest is ON! :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Its the little things that keep us amused.
Good job. That looks fantastic.

3 Likes

Glowforge should pretty much try and acquire the licensing to do this based on the strength of this example.

3 Likes

Oh my gosh. That’s incredible and brilliant.

2 Likes

I’m suddenly feeling very deprived, not knowing the references to Stargate.
Where do I start ?

4 Likes

Here is a starting point -

1 Like

Thanks.
Did a quick explore, and it brought back 20+ year old memory - ancient Egypt, and someone walking up a sloping ramp into a circular light source( the portal, I guess).
Have just ordered the 1994 director’s cut to jog the memory.
How many hours viewing have I got ahead of me, not just this one but all the rest as well ?

2 Likes

oh man…best to start thinking about it as continuous DAYS.

a quick google search says that there are 10 seasons of Stargate SG1 (that doesn’t include the other Stargate seasons), totally 214 episodes. Each episode is about 45 minutes in length I believe.

You also have Stargate Atlantas (100 episodes), Stargate Universe (40 episodes), Stargate Infinity (26 episodes), and three different Stargate movies.

SOOOO, if you want to watch them all, you have at least a years worth of watching several episodes a day.

5 Likes

Ah…!
May not make it then. :wink:

1 Like

I think I was one of the only 5 people around who enjoyed Stargate universe…

3 Likes

I’d suggest starting at the beginning of SG1 and then after you’ve watched some of the first season, watch Stargate (original movie), and then Stargate: Ark of Truth to get the overall gist of the series as a whole. Watch more episodes as you have time and are still enjoying the story arc.

I only made it through season 8 before Netflix pulled SG1 from their offerings.

1 Like

Many thanks for the plan.

1 Like

Yeah…go with the original movie. Directors cut doesn’t really add anything to the movie(that was apparent to me) and in fact, edits out/replaces a part or two.

1 Like