Cut Draftboard kitschy earrings hand painted up 80s Memphis Milano style!

When I ordered my Glowforge in 2015 I was creating projects in the makerspace at Cleveland Public Library on an Epilogue laser. I was etching and cutting out on luan drawings and pop culture things, making brooches, notebook holders. I was looking forward to getting the Glowforge and making these from home.

2 years pass and I’m inspired by so many different things in the meantime that I haven’t even played around with my old designs. I’ve been creating so many new things that I hadn’t even planned. That being said I’ve been so distracted by this inspiration I haven’t done a lot of other experimenting but I am so excited to share some of these designs!

For an Earth Girls Are Easy themed NYE party I designed and built these 8’ tall palm trees using a Criss Cross concept with OSB on a CNC Shop Bot and I thought I’d try to make miniatures with the proof grade Draftboard! It worked and now I’m applying the method to so many different other concepts, animals, cult symbols, iconic imagery, other kitsch!

earringufo3

I have so many new designs I’ve created with the Glowforge I don’t want to overwhelm all at once but I am so excited to share with the rest of the community. I was hit with this whole new muse when I got the Glowforge and I’m very thankful to have it right now!

I even started making Bolo ties from a little piece of hardware I created in draftboard too so the charms could still dangle and turn!

I hope you enjoy the kitsch and color!
You can see more of the designs I created on my website:
www.memorabiliaproductions.com

31 Likes

I love Memphis style!! Have you seen the neon translucent colors of acrylic that Inventables has? And the frosted ones? I bet you could work wonders with those :slight_smile:

1 Like

I actually created a few with the clear acrylic we got in the proofgrade materials! You are so right … I’ve been meaning to do more acrylics!! Acrylics are so timeless and beautiful!

Did you see the colors ppipa1 was able to get using frosted acrylic and a Sharpie?

That technique would seem a good fit for what you’re doing here.

I wasn’t familiar with the term ‘Memphis Style’, and hoping to live only 90 miles from it, I thought I’d better catch up.
Googled images for it, and find it quite an eye opener, or should that be eye closer !
For my old taste, pre 60’s Danish Cool, very ‘busy’, but I can see that it might grow on me.
Not sure if I could turn out a fan based on it, but worth a thought.

:upside_down_face:

Yes, I did find out the derivation, but there you go.

It’s not for everyone!! I’m a big Danish fan myself. I grew up with a mom who collected mid century and tend to decorate more with natural wood and Danish furniture!! However… Ettore Sottsass I don’t think is too far removed from Mid Century… When I look at bark cloth designs, formica… his patternific bold color style is almost a lineage of it!

Oh cute! Love the little flying saucers! (Those are all clever!) :grinning:

I live in Memphis and I was like “We have a style that doesn’t include barbecue?!”

3 Likes

Cute!

This is all Greek to me but I sure do like your designs! Guess I should look into Memphis style.