Cut out

Since last night i have been trying to cut out two different cake toppers on walnut wood. I cut out 4 before that 2 on draft board, 1 on maple, and 1 on black acrylic and had no issues, once I switched to the proof grade walnut, I have had issue. When I send the project through it acts as if its normal then I will receive an error message that pops up as if I was not using proofgrade material. Then when its ready to print, it’ll say cooling down and then after about a minute it’ll start cutting but it is not cutting all the way through. Has this happened to anyone? I emailed customer support but have yet to hear back and I have some orders i need to fill. Any kind of advice will help. Thanks.

Is it just not recognizing the barcode? Are you selecting the PG settings in the menu?

Wondering if your machine just needs a good clean.

Hi Christy,

It is recognizing the barcode. The only thing I do differently is when engraving I take it down so it’s not so deep. I have attached another photo of the back. The only weird thing is that it worked properly prior. And I even got a little scared because it seems as if it smelled like it was overworking.

So you can see the flame. Do you have any solutions or trouble shooting?

Video.MOV (242 KB)

The temperature thing is going to be separate, more than likely, than the not cutting through. Conceivably, a hot machine would cut less effectively (less power) than a machine within the optimal operating range, but that’s why they have the temp limits in the software.

Re: your video - I don’t see any flames really? At least nothing excessive for sure.

What I did notice is that when the material cut, it dropped a good ways down, which would indicate to me that the material was warped.

4 Likes

Yeah, I see some flaring (nothing awful, but it’s there), but that could also be due to warped material as @jbmanning5 mentions above . Did you try pinning down the material with magnets and/or Honeycomb bed holdown pins?

Warped material could keep it from cutting through. I’m sure support will get back to you if they see anything else wrong, but maybe try pinning the material down in the meantime.

5 Likes

Many of the wooden materials will develop a slight warp. I always sight down the edges to determine which way the ‘camber’ or warp is. I place the bow in it down so the center is touching and pin the edges with magnets or the pins @ChristyM linked to.

4 Likes

Maybe the warped wood they sent me straight from glowforge was the issue. I ordered more so hopefully I get them soon. Have you had any issues with things not cutting through?

2 Likes

Yes the material I got from glowforge was so warped but I tried it anyways because I wasted all of my good stuff the night prior that wasn’t warped and it didn’t cut through. It was 1 degreees out last night and 5 the night before, do you think that could be an issue? I haven’t tried to cut different material because I was scared’. I still haven’t heard back from glowforge :pleading_face:. Thanks for your reply though.

Yes the material I got from glowforge was so warped but I tried it anyways because I wasted all of my good stuff the night prior that wasn’t warped and it didn’t cut through. It was 1 degreees out last night and 5 the night before, do you think that could be an issue? I haven’t tried to cut different material because I was scared’. I still haven’t heard back :pleading_face:

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.