Cut through polymer clay

Has anybody tried to cut through baked polymer clay? What I was thinking of doing is rolling it into a sheet baking it and then transferring it into the glowforge to cut shapes for earrings. Thanks!

1 Like

Searching the forum is key here.

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=polymer%20clay

You need to research because if your polymer clay is PVC, you will destroy your machine cutting it.

Normally I would have just left it at “search the forum” but since it’s PVC risk I’m taking the time to spell that out.

7 Likes

You might find better luck making cookie cutters with your GF. There are few examples on here if you search (here’s one: Proofgrade 1/4" Clear Acrylic: Bunny Cookie Cutter)

There are a lot of benefits to the cookie cutter approach -first of all, it’s cheaper over the long haul than repeated cutting on your GF. There’s obviously the danger of PVC, which I believe most polymer clays are made from. Also, if your clay isn’t a consistent thickness, you’ll be forever tweaking the settings.

5 Likes

Are you sure this is the link to making cookie cutters? I did a quick search and couldn’t find that.

It is definitely not. :slight_smile: I’ll edit.

2 Likes

Another alternative would be to cut stencils that you can lay over the rolled polymer clay and use a sharp object like a needle to cut the shapes out along the stencil.

1 Like

No! Polymer clay can’t be cut with a laser. It is PVC both raw and baked.

2 Likes