Cuts are wavy and distorted

I uploaded a file that has basic circles and rectangles and they are coming out wavy/distorted and not cutting all the way through the PG materials.

I did check the gantry to make sure it was secure, lens is clean and the boards are pinned down.

I’d suggest checking the belt tension for the x-axis (that moves the head), the other two y-axis belts, along with the wheels/bearings to make sure none of those have separated.

If a belt, it’s unlikely that all are loose, so look for any differences in tension.

If you’ve recently cleaned your air assist fan, it’s possible to twist it when you put it back on, but this is more likely to lead to misalignment.

3 Likes

If you can upload a picture of the rectangle, we can probably determine which axis is the issue.

I did check the belts for tension - they are not tight or loose.

Unit was recently cleaned and ran fine cutting out more detailed cuts, just a basic circle and rectangle file is causing the issue. I left it unplugged for the last 24 hours - will see what happens when I plug it back in (unplugged as I am re-arranging my maker space today after work).

I’m so sorry you’ve hit a snag! Since you’ve already checked the belt tension, I’d like to have you inspect the wheels on your carriage plate.

Could you please do the following?

1. Turn off your Glowforge
  2. Remove the carriage plate from the laser arm
  3. Closely inspect the carriage plate wheels from the top for any cracks or other damage
  4. Closely inspect the sides of the wheels for any cracks or other damage
  5. If you notice anything damaged or out of place, please take a photo and attach it to your reply.
1 Like

This happened to me also on 07October, and found a crack in one of the front carriage wheels. Although c/s was quick to reply, and get an order set up, (I paid for two additional front carriage v-wheels, and an extra X-axis belt) the parts never were sent out (they were supposed to arrive 15Oct, but FedEx never picked up the package ). I contacted the same rep again (Maile), and she did up another order, but it’s been 3 days, and there’s been nothing more than an order confirmation done. No tracking number, nothing. I think I have about maybe 50 - 70 hours on my GF, and now it’s been down 2 weeks now, I’m missing out on Holiday orders, and since I have a Basic,. my warranty is about to expire in about 3 weeks. All communications with anyone from GF has stopped, and there is no movement on my original order, nor the new one. I’m beyond frustrated. $3-4K may not be alot of money to some people, but it’s a HUGE expenditure for me… right now, this machine is a VERY EXPENSIVE paperweight, and if my warranty is not extended because of no fault of my own, I’m definitely not going to be a happy camper. If GF is not going to send my parts, I at least want my money refunded, and I’ll find something that will at least get the carriage to do what it’s supposed to… I’m sick of GF’s ducking and dodging, all of a sudden… I want my parts do I can try to make some money, or I want a refund of what I paid to get this run-around.

Hello @mckcustomvinyldesign,

We try to keep to one customer’s topic per post in the Problems and Support section. I see that you have an open ticket with us already and I have informed our Customer Success team of your concern, they will be reaching out to you shortly.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.