Cutting and printing on printable magnetic sheets

I purchased some printable magnetic sheets wanted to know if I could cut them ,and print a message on them?

1 Like

Pretty sure there have been some posts here that say not safe to lase.

Try searching for “magnet” and see what you can find. I’m on my phone or I’d try to link some for you.
:grinning:
Martha

2 Likes

Pretty sure the short answer is yes - but you may have issues with getting it to work - here’s a lovely long thread to read

5 Likes

Look for a post from me that was sometime in the last month or so for some insights on using this type of material. Bottom line, cuts just fine. I think I used “Leather” as the settings I started with.

But note: it has to specifically be laserable. What I bought was called " Rowmark LaserMag Brushed Silver/Black Magnetic Sheet" from a company called JPP (Johnson Plastic Plus).

4 Likes

Just make sure it’s not bonded to a sheet of PVC, some sources do have that, and if so, you should not put it into your Glowforge.

The only other caveat I know of, is that it’s rather messy— I had crumbs of magnet material all over my crumb tray when I did it.

2 Likes

The LaserMag stuff cut clean and didn’t leave any more debris than anything else. Maybe less…!

5 Likes

Thank you

THANK YOU

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

1 Like

Thanks for the answers from other users! Since this is material from another company, I’m not able to provide support for prints that don’t come out as expected. Materials may vary widely from piece to piece, even if they’re created by the same manufacturer. I’m going to move it to Beyond the Manual so other folks here can help. Should this happen with a print on Proofgrade materials, please open a new ticket in Problems and Support and we’ll help you right away!

1 Like

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of types of magnetic sheet.

The ones you find at local craft stores are often finished with vinyl - PVC - which will destroy your machine. Works great for sharpies and such.

Not all, so the only way to know is to find a source that can provide an authoritative SDS. The “LaserMag” stuff mentioned above sounds like it was designed, or selected, to be laser-safe.

2 Likes

Is the leather setting used for both cutting and engraving? Rowmark has been the only manufacturer of laser mag safe products that I have been able to find. It is unfortunate that they don’t offer a basic version to this without any of the silver of gold layers.

I have seen just the magnetic sheet with no coating, but I cannot tell you where I saw it. It does exist, though… :slight_smile:

Yes, I used Leather for all my settings. I tweaked them a little, reduced power slightly and liked the results more. Then I increased power and sped up the speed and it made things worse. I haven’t had a chance to go back and try and re-optimize again.

I didn’t think about that. Ran a quick search for the raw stuff and found this site: https://www.discountmagnet.com/categories/plain-magnetic-rolls/
I reached out to the sales team via email to see if it is safe to use. It does say no adhesive or vinyl on either side. This might be it!

Great, I’ll give it a go once my sheet comes in. Thanks for the sharing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.