Cutting Fabric with a Seklema Mat

I appreciate your help with it…I was absolutely mortified and so worried others would try which is why I replied to each person who said something personally…Was just sitting here thinking out loud and should have checked BEFORE I posted…Is there list of things NOT to cut? I would have just deleted the entire post but I couldn’t figure out how to. I hope between you and I no one will try it. Thank you again xx

2 Likes

Your original post is deleted so no worries there.

As to what you should not cut, you can find many references to specific materials (i.e. PVC) but I’ve never actually seen a list that includes something as specific as a “Cricut mat”… I had just pondered this in the past and looked up what they were made from.

Seklema mats are designed specifically for laser cutting (and also CNC routers and regular knife cutters)

1 Like

Don’t beat yourself up. You didn’t do anything wrong, you attempted to correct the info out there after you posted it, and that’s all you can do. We all learn from these types of things and remember them more because of it!

For a list of things not to cut, here are some resources I like:

http://wiki.atxhs.org/wiki/Laser_Cutter_Materials

6 Likes

Thank you…I appreciate that and the charts :slight_smile: lol Will NEVER post a random thought again without looking it up first thats for sure!

2 Likes

Well, we are all human. So if you do post something without looking it up first, it’s not the end of the world. And I would hope that we can all give each other grace instead of beating each other up over some random mistake. :slight_smile: That’s my opinion, anyway, and something I strive for.

4 Likes

I like that philosophy and try to live by it as well…and if I was trying to be nasty I wouldn’t have said “please” back off, lol…I am almost 64 years old, not a moron and just would like to be spoken to like an adult, not chastised, I was doing my best to remedy the sitch…and no, won’t even think out loud until I look it up…actually I only need to cut fabric so staying in my lane from now on lololol

I do hope the bit about the Seklema mat is useful though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is great! Thank you so much for the info you shared.

1 Like

Interesting idea!

I use little magnets. One at each corner to keep the fabric from blowing around. I also leave a few wee gap at the edge of my shape when I make it on my computer. Keeps each shape from blowing away as well.

Here’s a link for the magnets:

MIKEDE Strong Magnets, 20 Pack Strong Magnets Heavy Duty Neodymium Disc Magnets with Double Sided Adhesive for Crafts, Powerful Rare Earth Magnets for Fridge, Office Magnets, 1.26 inch D x 1/8 inch H https://a.co/d/5j3iZfd

1 Like

So clever. Thank you for sharing this! My brain is spinning and planning…

Rare earth magnets are fabulous - and as long as you keep them on the edges you’ll do fine :slight_smile:

If you ever want to use them in the middle, keep in mind that in the :glowforge: at least, when the fan goes over them it often slows down and stops your work with a warning that your fan has an issue.

The solution to that is putting a piece of metal over the tops of the magnets, so they’re shielded and the magnetism can only go in one direction :slight_smile: Harddrive magnets come with shields already attached so I’ve taken to using those.

3 Likes

Glad I bought the Rare Earth Magnets (quite by accident) .
I fought out abut putting them in the middle by accident too:)

Thanks for this information!
Valerie

1 Like