Cutting felt

Love that I can cut felt pretty easily with the glowforge. Used setting that o found on the forums to cut some felt sweaters for ornaments. I could use scraps to get the most out of my cutting.

31 Likes

Nice idea. Thanks for sharing!

10 Likes

Felt is so easy! I love it too :slight_smile:

If you ever want to work with leather, felt is the perfect material to test your designs on before cutting into the final.

14 Likes

exactly why there are two yards of felt about get get hacked into a prototype for the Mrs.

13 Likes

Yay :smiley:

9 Likes

taking a break from cutting :wink:

7 Likes

Felt is a fun medium. Your sweaters are cute.

8 Likes

Awwww, adorable!

7 Likes

I think felt originally was made from wool. Now felt is made of other, not natural things. Are any of the versions of felt bad to put in a Glowforge?

6 Likes

Nice! Love your little sweaters.

5 Likes

Those sweaters are so cute!

5 Likes

Mostly wool/cotton/poly which are all fine in a laser.
I’ve never seen one made from PVC which, because of the chloride, is the big-bad for the laser.

8 Likes

You can still get wool felt, but it’s more expensive. The stuff you find at the big-box craft stores is usually polyester or acrylic. Both work fine in the Glowforge.

8 Likes

Hi Sophia! Would you be willing to tell me the settings you used and if possible what felt you bought? I’m trying to make something for a library program and I want to use the Glowforge to cut the felt because I need smaller shapes than my dicut machine creates. Thank you! --Sarah

2 Likes

Oooh I like that idea! I’ve always been so tentative with leather because of the cost.

2 Likes

Hi, I used the following felt settings that I started with:
speed: 300
power: 40
1 pass

link to felt I used:
(https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HS1Y446 716)

Hope this helps, can’t wait to see finished project.

2 Likes

Thank you! This helps so much.

Since settings are included here, moving this to Beyond the Manual (as required)

7 Likes