Cutting location is off

I’ve noticed that when I set up the Glowforge to begin cutting at say 1" from the left edge of the wood (as seen on the camera) it actually cuts about .8" from the left. No big deal if I have enough space but I am concerned that if I place an object to cut and I want it precisely centered on the object it will be off. What might cause this?

They’re working on making placement more precise, but currently (because of how the software compensates for the fisheye camera) there’s a 1/4" tolerance. It’s always going to be most precise right under the camera.

There are some good tips in the forums for getting better alignment – here’s one to start with: Glowforge Interface - How to Get Perfect Alignment (Yes, perfect!) 🤔

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @geek2nurse!

@jglazer
Thanks for asking about this. I’m sorry your print didn’t turn out where you expected.

The software on your Glowforge is responsible for ensuring that the print lands on the material in the same place as the preview. When you’re done with a print, let a new image load. If the print appears on screen far from where it was supposed to go, you may have an alignment problem.

Most alignment problems come from the material being closer or farther from the camera than expected. While the software is still improving, you can take these steps for the most accurate alignment results:

• Use Proofgrade™ materials.
  • If you don’t use Proofgrade materials, use a precision set of calipers to measure your material, and enter the thickness in the “uncertified materials” dialog.
  • Use material that is not warped or tilted.
  • Place your design near the center of the bed.
  • Clean the area underneath your crumb tray, particularly the four indentations on the floor.
  • Reboot the machine. Alignment can drift over time, particularly if you bump the head of your Glowforge while removing material.

Should you finish all of these steps, and find that you have an alignment error of more than 1/4", please post a new topic so we can investigate.