Cutting Out the Bottom of Your Glowforge

Not in this case…we’re on our own after making a modification to the machine. Support will not assist.

Pertinent information below:

You might want to try OpenGlow. Someone there might be able to identify it for you.

I mean the OP might mean the coolant hose/tube. it’ll require a bit more info, and maybe pics.

5 Likes

its a small black rubber tube underneath the machine- not the laser tube in the bed

I didn’t get a picture :frowning: I used electrical tape to seal it, not too much liquid came out.

1 Like

tenor

15 Likes

OMG - I love that Log!!!

This thread makes me wonder if you could remove the crumb tray and metal plate and have the GF cut its own bottom out…

6 Likes

8-snake

9 Likes

Probably not, since the laser focus area is so short. It’d give the bottom a nice tan, though! I’m seriously considering widening the hole like @MechanicalGoose! I had kept it small, fearing it may hurt the integrity of the machine, but the wooden substructure makes that a non-issue. Great mod-mod!

@MechanicalGoose and/or @matt.stoker :: What did you use to make the actual cuts? In my pro glowforge I don’t see any screws. What I do see are welds. Should I assume then that they’ve changed their production and no longer use screws? I’m now nervous about cutting into the bottom as I don’t know if any other changes were made to wiring, supports, etc…

I definitely want to make the mod. Just nervous about how and where to start. Any advice?

Boy times have changed when suggested this I got beat up on.
I knew it would work.
Did you make air tight risers to set it on?

1 Like

Well you were probably back when people were figuring out the impact of doing it. That horse is well dead, so if you want to risk it, have at it. Glowforge probably won’t repair your machine again (like at all, I’m not talking about warranty. Case modifications might well make you ineligible for repair of any kind), but if you are cool with that, then we’re done here.

1 Like

WOW! maybe everyone here is just full Karen when I post.
We are done here.

My point is that that times changed, and the discussion isn’t about that anymore. Glowforge has made their position clear, and I assume that matthewluke knows that since he’s been around since 2019. All I was saying was that there’s not much to talk about in terms of beating anyone up.

1 Like

Chill, dude! All @evansd2 did was point out facts. I’m not sure what about his post you read as “full Karen,” but I’m not seeing it.

4 Likes

@matthewluke I used a oscillating cutting tool. At least on mine all the cables run in a single pathway on the bottom towards the back of the machine. So there wasn’t any issue with cutting near them.

@chris.obergfell I did not make the risers air tight. Since the enclosure is under negative pressure, its actually better to not be sealed to make sure it pulls some air out of the new cavity creating by the risers. Have had zero issues with any smoke leaking. As long as your fan is properly flowing, there should never be any smoke leaking from the machine (except when the air assist blows smoke out through the seems in the front door when cutting at the left and right extremes of the bed, although I installed additional silicone flaps to prevent this.)

7 Likes

Thanks for the answer buddy. Very interesting project. I like how you think outside the box.

1 Like

Did you use different size risers, or just fixed height?

The machine is sitting on fixed height riser but I put in the below height adjustable table so I can adjust the height I need based on the project to put the surface to be engraved in the 1/2" height window.

8 Likes

Awesome idea. :smiley:

I was reading this thread and thinking it would be great if GF had a removable floor and riser option like the Muse laser. I wonder why they didn’t think of that? The mods are a step in the right direction for more functionality!

1 Like