Cutting Silicone Sheets

I’m brand new to the forum so apologies in advance but after several lengthy attempts to locate any relevant information I’m posting here.

I’m using a GF Basic

I have 1.5mm thick, medium blue, untreated 100% silicone sheets that I want to cut patterns out of (not engrave).

Any guidance/experience on the matter… can I, should I, setting suggestions, considerations such as cleanup?

Much appreciated!

1 Like

There have been posts about engraving silicone, especially bracelets. Try searching the forum for “silicone” and you’ll find some.

Here’s one:

2 Likes

Thanks I have and skimmed quite a few but I’m reluctant to interpret engraving for my purpose of cutting.

Mostly looking for a concise process for cutting straight through. Perhaps I’m over thinking it.

Well I have that too!

You’ll zero right in no problem.

7 Likes

It can be done. I’ve done lots of silicone gaskets. It’s dirty though. No matter what color (although black is worse) you’re going to end up with a lot of crud deposited on everything in the machine. I found it best to clean the lenses every sheet otherwise the cutting performance suffers & doesn’t go all the way through. I was doing kiss cuts though - through the silicone but not all the way through the bottom layer of masking I put on it.

3 Likes

Here’s my update… I’ve cut a but and experimented a bunch.

Multiple passes barely reduced charing so that was a non factor.

Single pass on basic full power 160 cuts clean and interestingly enough the machine is much cleaner than the multiple pass.

It chars a bunch but flakes off easily.

Bottom line is clean cut with less mess in the machine is a big win because I was needing to clean very frequently.

2 Likes

hows do i cut the little holder thing…