Cutting uneven

Thanks. I never thought of trying more passes on a faster speed… will have to try that. Thank you for mentioning. Will let you know how it turns out.

1 Like

Check all of the mirrors and make sure they’re clean. Don’t forget the hidden one up in the left side.

1 Like

Oh really, I’ve missed something out here… I didn’t know about the mirrors :grimacing:. Only been cleaning the camera and glass.

Just checked for mirrors can only see 2 by the camera really

Oh no after about 2 hours of cutting I ended up with this

I had the speed much lower at 190 and I cut through twice but it hadn’t cut through so I cut again but ended up with this :slightly_frowning_face:. The wood vinyl is just so the wood stays clean, that’s not causing the fire cuz it was happening without it too.

Ugh. It’s really important to test the settings. Just do a small set of cuts until you get them dialed in. Or try something like this:

What is “wood vinyl?”

1 Like

Here are the instructions for cleaning the mirrors / lenses: https://glowforge.com/support/topic/cleaning-service-and-moving/cleaning#things-that-need-wiping

1 Like

I meant the sticky paper that has that wood pattern on it was just there to peel back off to keep the actual piece clean.

I will have to run tests, can’t tell if it’s just the material, machine or both. Will have to clean and do some tests.

1 Like

Thanks yes I will have to give a good clean cuz this has wasted a lot of my time. Hopefully it will get sorted after this.

1 Like

I use 3 passes at 170 speed (full power) to cut through 1/4" BB plywood. 135 will definitely burn.

2 Likes

For this last cut I did 2 passes at 190 and a final cut at 200 but it could be that my design is too intricate although it’s only just started doing this. I’ve used this same material just last week and it was fine, it’s started doing this since the past 2-3 days.

If you haven’t followed the cleaning steps I linked to up above, now’s the time. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah I was pretty shocked to see all that needs doing, hopefully will get to it tomorrow… night here. But my boy was sleeping so although I didn’t want to use the gf in that state but I just had the time to get some work done so I tried the mdf in 3mm did work pretty fine but obviously I can tell now it’s definitely cleaning time so yeah tomorrow :sleeping: gn

1 Like

Hi, this message is to all of you, I have to say thank you very much for your help and support, it was all needed and I learnt a lot. Couldn’t have done it without you and yes it was the cleaning that was the main problem. It was taking me a good few hours just for a small print but now after the clean it’s just taking a few mins :sweat_smile:. I can see a lot of smoke coming out from beneath but I think that’s cuz the tray needs cleaning which is a harder job. Will do that somehow later. But real problem is solved thank God.

4 Likes

Where would one find the Baltic birch if it’s not in a Home Depot or other box store? Do you order it from somewhere? I’m realllllly struggling to find a good plywood for my projects. I would love to use only the proofgrade… but it just so darned expensive … I would really struggle to make a profit with my projects if I used the PG.

I get it from a local lumber yard – not Home Depot or Lowe’s, but one of the sorts that carries higher quality hardwoods and stuff. They actually call it “Russian birch” at the one I go to, but the quality is consistent and the Baltics are in Russia, so whatever! :wink:

Oh, gotcha… Maybe I will check with the local lumberyard and see if they carry anything like that. I live in Po’dunk, so it is slim pickin’s for me. I really wish I could just find something I could order online and keep on hand.

I’m sure you can order it online. A forum search might turn up some sources. :slight_smile:

I’ve got some Ochooch samples coming today. I’m hoping this is going to be my saving grace! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amazon :slight_smile:

I also get it in full sheets from Woodcraft (there are a couple within 20 miles of me).

2 Likes