Updated Material Test Template

I took a pass at updating the Laser Cutting Materiale Template (from Noloxs on Thingiverse) to make it more Glowforge-friendly:

• Changed the engrave test shades to rasters
  • Combined the paths on the same test (so holes aren’t punched through the material at each intersection of the outlines
  • Added a (limited) vector engrave test tile, using the colors provided in @chris1’s Illustrator Workspace Setup for Glowforge Laser Cutter tutorial.

Full disclosure, I haven’t tried out the vectors yet because I haven’t taken the time to enter all those settings into the GUI.

So far so good. Any further suggestions?

balticbirch_testing_square.ai (1.8 MB)
Material test tile.zip (1.8 MB)

MacBook Engraving...Kinda
Question on some materials
Engrave off
A "Sampler" file?

Fantastic work!

Wouldn’t it be great if we could specify the power and speed settings for vector cuts in the SVG? Then it’d be a trivial matter to write a script to generate something similar to this, but for a matrix of speed-power settings for vector scores and cuts. Seems like it would be a piece of cake for glowforge to write an XML schema extension for SVG to add this?

Nice. Sadly, the forum software strips out embedded bitmaps, so you’ll probably want to upload this zipped.

Will do. Thanks.

Also, THANK YOU for your tutorials. They’re a great way to simultaneously learn more about AI and Glowforge for those of us new to both.

Very cool, thank you! I love the look of this particular test but haven’t found the time to glowforgify it, so this is great.

This is awesome! Thanks. The only test I did so far was for score spacing. I figured if the beam was 0.008" wide, then space the lines at 0.008" and I get a faster engrave. In fact, I got a scorched engrave. But 0.010" and 0.012" weren’t bad. I’ve added a jpeg and zipped AI file to potentially add to your template.

Test-Run-Score-Spacing.zip (1.5 MB)

@rpratt: You might try making every nth line of your score a different color so that the laser head makes n passes to do the “score engrave.” This might decrease fire potential. I don’t know what effect it might have on scorching.

Okay - N00B question here. I tried the template above on some Bass wood that I got from Blicks. I haven’t been able to get the cuts to actually go through the wood yet, and the engrave section doesn’t look anything like what this image does. My thickness according to my caliper was .19 and I used cut speed 225 power full. For the engrave, do I use variable power or 650 and 80% power?

Every wood is going to be different looking, that’s the reason for these test strips. :slightly_smiling_face:

Generally, if it’s not cutting through, you need to slow the speed down, a little bit at a time, until it does. That’s where you stop and record the settings, because you always want to use the fastest possible speed that cuts completely through your material.

For engraving, you’re going to get different results with Photo engrave versus 3D engrave (variable power) so just do some testing to see which look you’re going for.

thanks - I guess I need to start smaller because the test template took 45 minutes to not cut through. :slight_smile:

Oh ouch! :smile:

so very helpful! Thanks!!