Cutting Vinyl Records with Glowforge

This might be a basic question, but as I am new to laser cutting I was wondering if the Glowforge will be able to cut vinyl. I’ve seen some really great designs cut from record LP’s and they will certainly be one of the projects I will start exploring once I receive my unit. Thanks!

4 Likes

http://community.glowforge.com/t/cutting-records-vinyl-lps-or-the-old-78-rpm-records/512

7 Likes

I have seen some very inspiring work with the record cut into some aspect of the cover art, and displayed as a pair. I would advise a coping saw. I have a ton of old classic rock vinyl, but in my universe in 50 years my Son would be saying “Gee, if Dad hadn’t cut this record up it would be worth a fortune…” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

Im not sure if you could cut the record with the laser, but I am pretty sure you could cut out a template from wood to use as a guide for a dremel or router type thing.

1 Like

As @karaelena posted, this would be potentially damaging to your brand-spanking new Glowforge. Simulating the effect with other materials or using a jigsaw as @printolaser & @jeremiah suggested is probably your best choice.

3 Likes

Hi @ros1111, Welcome! There are plenty of people here that are new to laser cutting. If you have any more questions, ask away! We are a friendly bunch!

As was stated above, vinyl is not very good for laser cutting. Here is a good list of laser cuttable materials. http://atxhackerspace.org/wiki/Laser_Cutter_Materials

3 Likes

Unfortunately as others have noted, the vinyl in records is not laser-compatible. Full details will be in your manual.

6 Likes

As vinyl is poisonous to humans and robots, my suggestion, as in one of the other vinyl cutting threads was to take a piece of acrylic of the same size, engrave it in a spiral pattern to make it look like a record, and then cut whatever you want into it. This way you dont risk your health or the functionality of your laser wielding robo friend.

8 Likes

That’s a great idea!

You could also use the vinyl record as an uncut layer in a multilayered design.

3 Likes

What about thin vinyl sticker material?

anything that contains chlorine is going to be poisonous to humans and damage machinery when burned/ablated/cut whatever. its the C in PVC that is poisonous, so check the chemical makeup of whatever you are cutting via the MSDS before to make sure it does not contain chlorine.

1 Like

That is what I thought, considering WW1, but @henryhbk says not: A word of caution about the chlorine flame test - #10 by henryhbk

Admittedly CL versus HCL but my understanding is CLforms HCL when it combines with water on your mucus membranes.

Like all things it’s not bad if it is in the right place. HCl in your stomach: good (how you break down meat) hcl on your skin or lungs: less good

3 Likes