Dakkar Viking Longboat

I must have 50 hours into this make. About 40 of that in inkscape. Make a viking longboat they said… LOL… Still have the shields, sail, and other details to complete but pretty happy with the way it turned out. This is prototype 1… will change up the wood (now 1/8" birch ply). Strikes should be 1/16"… the thicker made very hard to form and shape (had to soak in water). So anyway, thought I would share. The back story; friend of mine made mention to me while we sat around a camp fire of how awesome it would be to have a Viking Funeral (maybe a few beers were involved). It got me thinking :slight_smile:

86 Likes

Might I suggest a rather agressivly gel based super glue going forward? It’ll save some time for sure

8 Likes

That is stunning! Great job and thank you for sharing!!

Please continue with the final product!

12 Likes

This looks fantastic! Please share the progress on the next iteration.

12 Likes

This looks amazing! Well done!

9 Likes

Great suggestion… appreciate it.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s very good. You may already know this trick, but Baltic Birch plywood is generally more flexible in one direction than the other. If you’re buying full sheets, you can choose which direction the flex runs, and make long skinny planks for the side that bend very easily.

I tend to make my Baltic pieces rigid in the long direction, but in your case I would say do the opposite, and you’ll be able to make very organic shapes a bit more easily, if that’s not what you’re doing already.

16 Likes

Certainly a huge learning curve… greatly apprciate the feedback.

3 Likes

this is stunning!

6 Likes

Very impressive

5 Likes

Bravo! Really nice project!

6 Likes

Wow!!! Love this! Are you gifting one of the prototypes to your campfire buddy?

6 Likes

That is the intent… LOL… Knowing him it could get a little dangerous (fire, lake, arrows, beer) LOL.

8 Likes

Video is demanded… :rofl:

9 Likes

LOL… certainly!!!

2 Likes

On the superglue. While it may be adequate, in over 30 years working with wood, I do not prefer it. Regular wood glue is far stronger, even if less convenient. A bond with wood glue is stronger than the wood itself. CA, of all types (and I have used all types) only bonds on the surface, and is brittle, and becomes rapidly more-so with age.

A good friend of mine founded a company producing very high quality CA of all types, and it was sufficient for most uses, but anything under tension/stress like that would generally be better served with plain old cheap yellow wood glue. Clamp it up and go to bed.

16 Likes

Truly an amazing build! Can’t wait to see it finished—be sure to update.

4 Likes

Yours looks fantastic! My hubby is putting one together too and is almost done except for the stuff he asked me to print for him :blush: . He wanted me to do specialized shields, dragon head/tail, and sail for him. I have the shields almost done, but still have the rest to go.

7 Likes

Would love to see it when done. This really did take more time then I expected… it’s like a never-ending gob-stoper… LOL

3 Likes

Wow wow wow!!! You should have a few beers more often! That turned out fabulous. I like that you did shields too!

5 Likes